Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Severe nipple pain?

Default Severe nipple pain?

My son is almost 4 months and EBF. He was severely tongue tied at birth which was corrected at 2mos. He gained weight rapidly and my nipple issues were minimal so we didn't rush the tongue clipping.

My left nipple has been an issue from moment one in varying degrees of severity. Initially I attributed it to his latch but the issue has not resolved.

While the pain has come and gone, its been back with a vengeance for the last week. The latch is excruciating with the pain becoming moderate after a minute or so. My nipple remains erect and I have an internal sense of burning after the feeding has ended.

There are no cracks, blisters, etc. Neither of us show signs of Thrush. No fever, red streaking etc. I've self diagnosed and dismissed every diagnosis I've come across so far and am beyond frustrated.

I feel like I have a deep tissue bruise or something along those lines. I've been trying to give the left nipple as much of a break as possible and starting feedings on the right side but there's been no relief and I am so tired of being in such pain.

Please help. Thank you!

Default Re: Severe nipple pain?

The burning sensation after feeding is a very common sign of thrush. But it could also be vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The burning sensation after feeding is a very common sign of thrush. But it could also be vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/...blanching.html
    This actually brought tears to my eyes - I am getting this blanching which I never paid much attention to or knew what it was. My husband even pointed it out to me after a feeding. I'm thinking vasospasm due to trauma since its only happening with one nipple.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much relief I feel to have a direction to head in. Now I just need to figure out what's next.

Thank you!

So glad to have helped! A hot pad or hot water bottle should be your first stop. You can also make a rice sock- you pop some dry rice in a clean cotton sock, and microwave it for a minute or two to make a quick hot compress. Just FYI- vasospasms due to trauma often disappear as the baby grows and the baby's mouth grows and he can get a deeper latch each time. You've toughed it out this long- if you can go a bit longer you may find things improve without much effort on your part. Till then, hot pads and sweaters, since cold weather is setting in and that usually makes vasospasms worse.

ETA: where in the HVA are you? I'm originally from Hillsdale (Columbia Co., east of Hudson).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

So glad to have helped! A hot pad or hot water bottle should be your first stop. You can also make a rice sock- you pop some dry rice in a clean cotton sock, and microwave it for a minute or two to make a quick hot compress. Just FYI- vasospasms due to trauma often disappear as the baby grows and the baby's mouth grows and he can get a deeper latch each time. You've toughed it out this long- if you can go a bit longer you may find things improve without much effort on your part. Till then, hot pads and sweaters, since cold weather is setting in and that usually makes vasospasms worse.

ETA: where in the HVA are you? I'm originally from Hillsdale (Columbia Co., east of Hudson).
    Due to the previous TT and the fact that this has been going on for 4 months, on and off, with the severity increasing, I think I'll have to meet with a LC to reassess his latch otherwise I don't see an end to this and I refuse to give up. Obviously, the psychological response to anticipated pain makes the vasospasm worse.

I used to work on Warren Street! I live in the Pleasant Valley area now (Dutchess). *cue "It's a small world after all"...*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sapphireskies View Post
    I used to work on Warren Street! I live in the Pleasant Valley area now (Dutchess). *cue "It's a small world after all"...*
    It sure is! I used to get my shoes on Warren St. when I was a little kid, and I went to HS in Dutchess Co.

Good luck with the LC! Make sure you really discuss the thrush possibility with her. Thrush and vasospasm can masquerade as one another and/or underlie one another, IYKWIM!

: Thrush and vasospasm can masquerade as one another and/or underlie one another, IYKWIM!
    Will do. Its just so relieving to have a back up theory since I really lean away from thrush and it seems its the go to diagnosis unnecessarily IYKWIM! Thank you AGAIN!