Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My milk is disapearing!!

Question Help! My milk is disapearing!!

Hi everyone!
    I really need some help... i am breastfreeding my 5 month old son and over the past few weeks my milk suply has started at vanish. At first it was at the evening feed(6.30pm before he goes to bed) i was told that a low supply in the evening was often normal and not to worry..... so i have been giving a bottle of formaula at this feed. Now it is gettin earlier in the day when my milk suply is low.(2-3pm feed). i spoke to my health visitor and GP and to b onist they were No help at all, i have already bn trying the pumping method feeding my son then pumpin after. it is no doing anythn. my partner feeds LO in the evening so that i can try and express but at 6.30 i can onli get about 2oz.. about a month ago no matter when i expressed even if i had just fed LO i could get about 5oz... wher is it going?? i would love to continue to feed my son untill he is a year old but at this rate its not going to happen!! please help!! x

Default Re: Help! My milk is disapearing!!

hey sorry people i should have added in here that my son is weaning well and eats 3 meals a day 8 am 11. 30am and 4pm. but this has not cut his intake of milk. when is is with the grandparents he has 7oz before everymeal (bottle formula) x

You can re-build your milk supply.
    offer the breast more often and offer the breast before feeding any solid food to your LO.
    spend a day or two in bed with your baby and nurse around the clock. week-ends are great for this.
    rent a hospital grade double pump and use it to stimulate your supply, and pump every 3 hours while you are away from the baby.
    I am sorry that someone gave you incorrect information about feeding a bottle to your LO months ago during the afternoon feed.
    all moms have a normal dip in supply in the afternoon but a baby should be encouraged to work a little harder at that feed to stimulate the increase of milk.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Welcome! It sounds like you have fallen into one of the most common breastfeeding traps out there: thinking your milk supply has disappeared when really it has just adjusted to a more normal level. Expressing 5 oz after a feeding isn't normal supply, it's oversupply. 2 oz is actually a much more normal/typical amount to be able to express- it's a good amount if you are pumping instead of nursing, and a large amount if you are pumping after nursing. Most moms start out with oversupply, since that's nature's way of ensuring that the baby gets enough to eat while he masters the art of breastfeeding. But oversupply doesn't last forever, and you don't want it to, since making too much milk is a waste of your body's energy and puts you at increased risk for nasty things like plugged ducts and mastitis. So after a while your body adjusts and starts producing only enough milk to meet the baby's needs, without a lot of extra left over. When this happens, it is normal to:
    - leak less or not at all
    - never feel "full" or engorged (moms often say they feel flat, soft, or empty all the time)
    - produce less milk when pumping
    - experience some fussing from the baby, who may have come to expect a faster milk flow and resents having to work harder for his meals

So, what do you do? Here's what I suggest:
    1. Stop the bottles and the formula. The baby empties the breast better than the pump, and every time you offer formula the baby probably goes longer between nursing sessions, causing your supply to decrease. (Remember, supply = demand, and more demand = more supply).
    2. Make sure you nurse before offering solids. I am guessing you are in the UK, and I know that advice on solids there differs from what we get her in the US. But here many pediatricians encourage moms to nurse before offering solids for at least 6 months and many encourage nursing before solids for around a year, in order to help mom maintain her milk supply and to help baby maximize his breastmilk intake. (Breastmilk is the healthiest thing your baby will ever eat, so why exchange it for some cereal or veg?)
    3. Offer the breast more frequently. Again,supply = demand, so the more you offer the more the baby will take in and the more you will produce.
    4. Evaluate your routine. Is your baby feeding at least 8 times per day? If not, try adding some more feedings in! At 5 months, most babies need at lest 8 feedings per day, and many still need to nurse at night.
    5. Evaluate your current birth control method. Some moms find that hormonal contraception has extremely negative impacts on milk supply. Combination estrogen-progestin contraceptives are generally the worst for milk supply, but progestin-only pills can also have a negative impact.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Question Re: Help! My milk is disapearing!!

thanks for all your help! my LO only nurses 4 times a day would b 5 if he was nursing before bed he hasnt nursed 8 times a day since he was about 3months old! also he only feeds for between 3 and 5 mins at a time and only has one breast per feed. the only time he nurses for longer is first thing in the morning whn he nurses for anout 10 mins. i ALWAYS make sure he has a full feed befor offering him any solids. he is far to active to want to spend a day in bed with me i have tryd to make him feed more often but if he is not hungry he will not nurse when he was younger he would have fed when ever i put him to the breast. so what is the best plan for the evening feed... to get my milk bak? should i let him feed for as long as possible on the breast then top up if i need to? he never wakes up through the night and hasnt since he was 10 weeks old! this mite sound really silly but my friend was telling me about this "thing" you can get so that u can still feed your baby from the breast but with formula milk...? sorry if you have no idea what i am talking about? ?x

If you LO willingly nurses for 5 full minutes there is no reason to "top off" with formula. The more often you nurse the more milk you will make. try to see if your LO wll nurse more than 5 times a day. Let him nurse for as long per feeding as he wants. 5 to 10 minutes is sufficient for many thriving babies. You do not need to complicate your life with an SNS. That is the at breast feeder your friend was referring to. Those are used for infnats who are learning how to accept the breast ae a site for nourishment while helping to stimulate the mother's breasts into making milk. Your LO would not be best served by that b/c he already knows to get milk from you, he knows how to nurse.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Is LO drinking 7oz of formula or breastmilk, I'm confused.....??
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shnesslz View Post
    hey sorry people i should have added in here that my son is weaning well and eats 3 meals a day 8 am 11. 30am and 4pm. but this has not cut his intake of milk. when is is with the grandparents he has 7oz before everymeal (bottle formula) x
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

4 nursing sessions per day isn't enough for a baby this age. 5 might be, but it would still be on the extreme low end for nursing frequency. I would start trying to get baby to nurse at least 8 times per day, and offer both breasts at a feeding. A lot of moms with oversupply start out using 1 breast per feeding but eventually transition to using both breasts as their supply adjusts to more precisely meet their babies' needs. Don't worry about the length of the feedings- 5 minute feedings are normal for older babies, because they are very efficient feeders.

Best way to get your milk back for the evening feeding is just to nurse, no bottles, no top-ups! It might mean a few very fussy evenings, but if you tough it out i think there's every reason to think you'll never need to use another bottle or formula. If you can get baby to wake for one feeding per night, I think that would be a good idea. A lot of moms slip in a "dream feed" right before bed- they pick baby up and nurse while baby is still half asleep.

I know what the "thing" is: it's called a supplemental nursing system, google it and you'll see a zillion of them. Medela makes them, but many moms prefer the ones made by Lactaid. You could get one, but frankly I do not think you need one at all. If I were you, I'd throw the formula in the trash and nurse as much as possible, because I think that's all you'll need to get things back on track.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    Is LO drinking 7oz of formula or breastmilk, I'm confused.....??
    he will drink 7oz of formula or 7oz of expressd milk i did have in the freezer. x

Tonight i BF him before he went to bed managed to get him to take both breasts 10m each... 30mins later he woke up screaming his head off put him to the breast again but after about 3mins he was just tuggin at me and cryin i could feel him suking really hard he just got so upset but only had to give him 3oz of formula to settle him, will just have to see if he wakes again!

my health visitor told me that he should b drinking about 25-30 oz a day and he has 28ish+ ?? everyone i talk to says somthing diferent!

but upon reading other posts from ppl about havin plenty of wee nappys he has about 8 wet and poos everyday sometimes every second day!

Any ideas on what is the best pump to buy?? x

3 oz instead of 7 is progress!!! Keep on offering to nurse, and switch breasts several times before offering the formula, and eventually you won't need the formula anymore.