Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone used a manual pump? Help!!

Default Has anyone used a manual pump? Help!!

Okay, can I just say I am having the worst day....

My pump just stopped working this morning as I tried to pump as usual for my first session of the day. I can't take the day off work today as our family was out sick last week (all of us) so I just don't have the time.

The company will send me a new pump overnight but I need help today...so I am going to go buy a manual pump at my next break and try to squeeze in a session.

Typically I pump 3-4oz in a 5 minute time period using an electric pump. Is a manual pump as effective? How long does it usually take? I can survive by getting the minumum of 1 oz per side I think but gosh it's already painful so any estimates on time would be great!

Default Re: Has anyone used a manual pump? Help

It depends. I pumped sporadically with a manual for five years. It depends on the pump, your response and your arm. It won't be 4 ozin 5 minutes, but you can get the same amount of milk in a longer time. I used to pump one side, switch, then go back to the other, and in 20 minutes, I had enough. I didn't feel empty, but it was certainly good enough. Would I want to do that every day? No.

I had an Avent Isis. The Medela one is apparently OK too. I hear the Simplisse one is super comfortable.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've used manual pumps, and they are fine in a pinch, like what you're in! Definitely a bit slower, and I wouldn't want to rely on one every day, but perfectly fine occasionally. If my breasts are full, I could easily pump quite a bit with a manual. They don't work so well if you're not super full. I used a Medela hand pump with two speeds, which mimics the "let down" speed function of their electric pumps. That worked well enough for me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Whew thanks! Big relief that it works(!). 3oz in less than minutes on each side. Very doable in a pinch and MUCH quieter and more comfortable :-). Thank you!!!

Funny too I forgot my storage bags today as well but have extra bottles. What an odd day!!