Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quick Question

Default Quick Question

My left breast is incredibly sore and I have a slight fever of 99.4. Both of my breasts feels engorged and are dripping. I have been nursing but DS is not relieving them enough to make them stop hurting.

my question is should i pump and relieve the engorgement? I want to try to massage the left one that is really sore in the shower but i feel the shower will only make me feel more engorged... what do i do? even though its only a slight fever i still feel weak and awful..
    July 27 2011

Default Re: Quick Question

Having BTDT, I do the hot shower and massage to get the milk out to prevent plugs. Sounds like you are having some oversupply for some reason, with or without a touch of mastitis. Then get in bed and nurse, nurse, nurse.

Take ibuprofen. Drink water. Rest. Repeat. You can beat it, without antibiotics and without pumping, if you work at it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you Susan!

I don't know why I have an oversupply problem.. I only pump when I am at work every 3 hours but for some reason it will randomly spike up to 17 1/2 ounces from 3 pumping sessions.
    July 27 2011

My experience with oversupply taught me that it's not necessarily a unidirectional process where you go from oversupply to normal supply. I would be block feeding and block feeding and feeling like I was getting things under control, and then wham! The oversupply would be back again for no discernible reason. Just keep working at it- eventually it should adjust!

And, while I am with Susan that managing your engorgement and touch of mastitis can definitely be done without the antibiotics and pump, IF you get into a situation where the mastitis is worsening (fever is worse, you're getting flu-like feelings of chills and aches and pains, and seeing red streaks/patches on the exterior of the breast) and the nursing/heat/massage routine alone is not making things better, then it's time to call the doc for some antibiotics and haul out the pump. Treat the mastitis first, worry about the oversupply second.

Hope you feel better soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"