Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions and Concerns

Default Questions and Concerns

I posted a few days ago about my LO spitting up and crying a lot. We went to the
    pediatrician the other day and he doesn't think it's too serious. He said we could try putting him on medication but we're trying some other things first. I've been keeping him upright after feeding (holding him or putting him in a seat if I need to) and I got
    some gripe water. I'm so happy that he seems to be doing a lot better. He hasn't
    been spitting up nearly as much, seems happier, and has been able to sleep more.

While we were at the doctor our LO was weighed and I am kind of concerned because when I weighed him last Thursday he was 8.9 pds (he was 6 weeks old yesterday)
    and at our appointment on Tuesday he was only 8.10 pds. He had recently been
    gaining about an ounce a day pretty consistently so I'm concerned that maybe my
    supply isn't what it should be. His diaper output is good (about 9 wets and 6 dirty
    ones a day) but I don't know why he would suddenly be gaining less. The
    pediatrician didn't seem to be too concerned. Do you think I should be worried?

Also, I had been waking my LO up every 3 hours at night if he didn't wake up on his own. The pediatrician said I could every 4 or 5 hours if he'll sleep that long. Does that sound right or will that make is weight gain worse?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Default Re: Questions and Concerns

was your baby weighed on the same scale? Same clothes? If not, no worries. I would not be worried myself with what you write here. And let sleeping babies sleep! Before you know it, that stretch of sleeping will go away as baby develops
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the reassurance. He was weighed without clothes both times but on different scales. I'll weigh him at our
    post-partum clinic again next week to see how he's gaining. I'm wondering if he wasn't gaining well for those few days because he was spitting up so much....

It sounds like his intake is great, based on diapers. And a few ounces over the course of just a few days can sometimes be the difference between whether or not your baby has just poo'd or not, or how full their tummy is. Let alone the difference a new scale can make!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012