Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would like to start nursing

Default Re: Would like to start nursing

My insurance doesn't cover the hospital grade pump, and it is $75/month. That seems to be on the high end of what others have said. I had the option to rent it for 2 weeks at $45. You might try getting one for a month and see if it makes a difference.

Will your LC work one-on-one with you on his latch? Are you trying the nipple shield with a little formula in the tip or with an SNS? That's what I did when my baby wouldn't latch. And you got him to suckle! That's great!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

The comfort sucking is the first to come! Keep working at it!

My insurance won't cover pumps either

The most effective setting is generally right under where it hurts. You don't want it to hurt, as that will inhibit letdown, but I gradually inch it up all the way, just like Katia. And a hospital grade pump has twice the suction power of any professional grade pump.

But I still have to do compressions to get out all the milk. There was a research study done on moms pumping for NICU babies who were in two groups, one who sat and relied on the hospital pump and the other who used the same pumps and compression, and the latter group had more milk than the first.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes I used a nipple shield and thats how he latched and sucked, he wouldnt take my bare breast. I am doing the breast massage too.

I forgot to mention I got a thick sticky fluid from both breast last night after my pumping session.

Pumped twice and nothing

Bummer. But don't give up!! Have you given any more thought to the domperidone?
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    Bummer. But don't give up!! Have you given any more thought to the domperidone?
    Im not giving up. I decided to rent a hospital grade pump. Not ready to go for the domperidone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arenee22 View Post
    I forgot to mention I got a thick sticky fluid from both breast last night after my pumping session.
    That's milk, mama! As you dry up, your milk turns thick, sticky, and salty. It's called inversion milk and it's actually really rich in lactoferrin which is very beneficial to the immune system. I personally think it's nature's way of giving a baby one last dose of immunity from breastmilk as the baby goes through the weaning process.

Don't worry if you sometimes get nothing. You might have to do a lot of dry pumping before you start seeing more than drops.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't worry if you sometimes get nothing. You might have to do a lot of dry pumping before you start seeing more than drops.

And if you DO consider the domperidone, I'm pretty sure Jack Newman will personally give you a prescription if your OB refuses. It would have to be filled at a compounding pharmacy. I go up to Canada (I live 15 min away though) for them as they are commercially available there. Feel free to ask me any questions if you DO decide to go that route.

Sometimes I found it would help if I watched a movie and pumped the whole time.

Mostly just wanted to send a for keeping going and you can do it!

Thanks for the cheers, I will let you know how it goes with the symphony

How long does it take to get the maple syrup smell with fenugreek? Ive been taking it for a week now, and every now and then I think I may smell smothing but its not real noticeable.

Also I read somewhere that the actual pills themselves smell sweet, mine are kind of sweet but not overly so.