Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would like to start nursing

Default Re: Would like to start nursing

Thanks for the suggestions. I am double pumping now. Its been hard for me to find the time to pump, but I think I fig out a way to get it done.

I've been trying the SNS but my baby doesnt want to suck on my nipple. He may suck twice after he latches on, but he starts to cry as soon as I put him in position to even latch on. I know that he is prob too old to nurse since he has never done it before, but I was hoping he would suck a little bit to help stimulate the milk.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I don't think there are any babies too old to nurse. There are babies who will not nurse. But I'm hoping to start nursing my little guy after he has surgery, and he will be 10 months old when we can start really trying hard at it.

The SNS can be a real challenge. I had better luck when I used a nipple shield over it; my baby could latch to it. A baby who prefers a bottle might like that better as well.

Also http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html and http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html may be helpful
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You can also try Motherlove More Milk Special Blend

We are using the starter SNS w/nipple shield. I am wondering if its worth it to get the regular one. I am concerned that he may not latch on with that either, but I was thinking since it had different flow rates, he may like it if it comes out faster. I have to keep pushing the thing to try and get milk out and hold him too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tremom View Post
    You can also try Motherlove More Milk Special Blend
    Where do you get this?

I have a Medela, pump in style advanced. Is that sufficient? I have read a lot of relacting mother rent hospital grade pumps..

A PISA is an excellent pump. But I think the hospital grade pump may give you an extra edge. If you have the cash, I'd rent one. Mine was $3 a day, cheaper than a latte at Starbucks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'll think about renting one. I wonder how long I would need to rent it for.
    How do you know what setting is most effective on the pump, should you feel a slight tug or no tug at all?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*arenee22 View Post
    I'll think about renting one. I wonder how long I would need to rent it for.
    How do you know what setting is most effective on the pump, should you feel a slight tug or no tug at all?
    A hospital grade pump might even be covered by your health insurance. Mine is, so it's only $20 a month. And it's not only effective, it is comfier, which is nice if you are pumping 8-12 times a day. As for how long, just take it month by month.

I turn mine up all the way (gradually!!!). I would say put it at the highest setting you can without it hurting.

Motherlove products can be bought online or at Whole Foods or at a breastfeeding store. I used it, and it helped a little.

I cannot reiterate that the BEST thing is to empty your breasts as often as you can. Even if it is just TWO minutes. When I started pumping in between classes (I had only ten minutes) it made a huge difference.

I also found a hand pump incredibly useful, as I could throw it in my diaper bag and if I got stuck somewhere, I had a way to remove milk and store it.

How much milk are you getting now, mama?

Also!!! The most important thing! Determination I used to get depressed when I had to supplement with formula. Even if he is just getting an oz a day, he is getting breastmilk!!! Tell yourself "I am a breastfeeding mother". Sometimes even the best of us psych ourselves out, and I want to let you know that this process is very frustrating sometimes! But you can do it!

My insurance doesnt cover pumps unfortunately. Im only getting drops right now.

Bonus: I got my son to suckle last night. He was sleepy and fussy right before I put him down for bed and he latched on and sucked at both breasts for a little while