Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would like to start nursing

Default Would like to start nursing

A little background info : I have 2 children. I nursed my first son until he was 9 months old, I stopped because I was pregnant with my second son. I had several bouts of mastitis with my first and thrush. Feeling overwhelmed and also not so sure about how I would nurse with 2 young ones, I decided to formula feed my second.

I had a terrible time in the hospital after delivery, I had a c-section and I had internal bleeding and had to have a blood transfusion and then had to go back to have the giant blood clot drained. I was in the hospital at least once a month for 3 months after he was born. I am just now feeling normal again.

We have been trying to find a good fit for him formual wise, he spits up and is constipated. Right now he is on Similac Alimentum. Spitting up less which is good, but still spits up and also is not having regular bowl movements yet. Its just been 3 weeks on this formula.

He is almost 6 months old and has never attempted nursing. I feel like I would like to try and relactate I have read several stories about this and they are very encouraging.

Would it be worth it to try after its been so long. If I hand expressI see droplets out of one breast and clear fluid out of the other. My husband is not in agreeance with me trying to nurse, he is worried about the allergy med I take going into my breastmilk and also me having mastitis again.

Thanks for reading this long post and contributing any input.

Default Re: Would like to start nursing

All you can do is give it a whirl. Try putting baby to your breast. Get an SNS and give supplements at the breast instead of via a bottle. Try pumping. You won't get much, but after some times passes, you should start seeing something.

To me, the easy part is getting your supply up. The harder part is convincing baby to actually work for his food!

Regarding your DH...you can look up at InfantRisk and see what, if any, risk your allergy medication is (most are totally compatible with nursing). Mastitis...meh. It happens. You deal with it. You move on. And it may not happen anyway.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

with the PP. What's the name of your allergy med? infant Risk can tell you for sure, but someone here may know already and may be able to give you a quick answer. AFAIK, corticosteroids like Nasonex are totally safe.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, I did check with Infant risk on the meds and they are considered safe. My dh is still not on board and I don't know if I can do this without his support. He would frown upon me taking herbs and pumping a lot if he didnt agree with it.

I am looking up some information on the things that are in formula and going to try and show him that even though I have to take meds, breastmilk is still better.

I wish I wasnt so afraid of having 2 under 2 and nursing in the beginning.

Mama: . Your breasts, your body, your choice. The only way your DH can stop you from pumping, taking herbs, and giving relactation a whirl is if you let him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have the best news. I talked to my dh again last night and also gave him some articles I found on nursing and the benefits and also the meds I take and he said that he still didnt really like the idea, but that he would support me. WOO HOO! I started pumping last night and I also started fenugreek. I saw a LC today and she recommened I add blessed thistle to it and mothers milk tea. I am so excited. She was very supportive. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement. I will keep you posted.

GL! Yes keep us posted, I'd love to hear if this works out for yoU!! That mother's milk tea tastes awesome cold, too. Add oatmeal to your morning routine as well.

My LC advised me to increase the fenugreek to 4 caps 3 xday because I didnt smell like maple syrup yet. I did this today and now I am sweating like crazy, I guess that means its working. I think I may smell a little sweet too. She also said I could add alfalfa, anyone tried this?

Best thing you can do is to pump, pump, pump, and when you are done with that.. . pump some more. I kind of "relactated" (still had milk, but not much) and now make all that my son needs.

Has your LC recommended and drugs like domperidone? Alot of people aren't fond of pills, but with my situation I really needed the extra boost and it really worked.

Keep coming back on! You can do this!

I have used alfalfa, and while it's not a straight up milk-maker, it does support duct health.

Marshmallow helps with letdown. Blessed thistle and goat's rue really help some moms. Shatavari is supposedly very helpful too.

Domperidone is quite helpful, as Katia has said. It really helped her.

A good book for you too look at is "Making More Milk."
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!