Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One breast significantly reduced supply

Default One breast significantly reduced supply

I have a 6 month old baby, and returned to work about a month ago. My supply was fine until the last week and all of sudden, one breast is only producing .5-1oz every 3 hours that I pump at work. The other is producing normal amounts of 3-4 oz per 3 hours (3x per workday). Any suggestions on bringing the other breast back up to speed?

I breastfeed when I am at home at night, the morning and on the weekends. I am not under much (or increased stress) that would cause me to think it was the reason for the decrease. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to unnecessarily have to supplement with formula.

Thanks!

Default Re: One breast significantly reduced sup

Welcome to the forum! These links should help you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html and http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html Basically, the key to increasing supply on one side is the same as the key to increasing supply on both sides: remove more milk more frequently. You might need to pump the underachieving breast 2 or 3 times as often as you pump your other breast, and perhaps work some pumping into your routine even when you are home with your baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The exact same thing just happened to me! One breast only! Thanks for the tips!

I have one side that gets chronically plugged ducts, and this really hits the supply in that breast. I started using a rice bag heated in the microwave while pumping and that seems to have helped a bit. It still doesn't produce as much as the good side, but it went from only about 1oz per pumping session to about 2.5 or even 3 on a good day! Do you have access to a microwave at work?

Thank you so much for the tips!

My particular problem ended up being resolved by replacing a part of my breast pump (I had checked every other part except for the small phlanges that drop the milk into the storage container - there was a small tear). I replaced it, and despite not getting much milk out for the last few business days, I was able to produce a solid 3 oz as soon as it was replaced out of the one breast.

I really learned quite a bit looking the information over that was submitted, and learned some great tips that I know I will be using in the future. (Such as the clogged ducts, as that has been a problem too).

This is a great organization and a fantastic support system. I am so glad there are resources out there for other mom's like me!