Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to stop?

Default When to stop?

I have been pumping now for 10 months. My son never latched so I stayed committed to pumping. My milk has decreased and I'm having to do twice as much work to just stay a float with him. When is a good time to stop? And how? Do I quit cold turkey? Oh this is depressing.
    Thank u

Default Re: When to stop?

Def don't quit cold turkey. You risk plugged ducts or mastitis if you do that. The choice of when to stop is entirely up to you. IMO, trying to continue to provide him breastmilk until a year is a good idea. Even if it's not as much as you are providing right now. If you do stop before a year, he will need formula until then. The nutrients are still a necessity for him. Pumping into toddlerhood is a perfectly good choice as well. There are so many benefits to your son if you choose this route. Toddlers need the extra immunities that breastmilk provides when they are getting around and touching everything and meeting new little germ carriers also known as other toddlers.

Another option is to possibly seek out donor milk, if you are comfortable with that idea. Perhaps you could get enough donor milk plus your pumped milk to get you over the year mark. Then you could pump wean and give your baby whole cow's milk. Or you could continue to pump. One option for donor milk is to look up Eats on Feets on Facebook. It's a mother-to-mother milksharing group. I have donated in the past and was very glad to give my excess to a mama who could use it rather than having to toss it away.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

What are you doing to increase your milk? Maybe we can troubleshoot that for you and get your own supply up. Meanwhile, you could fill in the blanks with some formula or donated milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I agree with no stopping cold turkey. You absolutely risk plugged ducts, mastitis.. etc
    If you desire quitting, slowly is the way to go. Pump wean over like a two week-3 week period and drop a pumping session every few days.
    Supplementation with formula/donor milk is necessary until age 1. Absolutely check out Eats on Feets!

You are sooo close to age 1! You could potentially increase your milk supply with galactogogues etc and make it to age 1 before you quit. (You have made it this far...!!!!!)
    it's just whatever you want to do. Let us know!

And I am SUPER proud of you for making it to 10 months exclusively pumping!!! Cheers to you!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

I have been drinking water,water, water, more water,did I mention water? I also have been taking Fenugreek, and pumping every 2-3 hrs. I'm struggling bad to keep up with my growing boy. What else can I do to increase it?

Thank u all!!

Have you checked the parts on your pump recently? You may need to replace worn out membranes or something.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you are struggling to keep up, supplement. Would one bottle a day make it so that you could continue? Then do it. Some breast milk is better than none. If for the next 8weeks you need to supplement not to quit than do that. Once you hit the year point hopefully he will be eating enough solids that you will able to pump wean anyway and nurse when together. If supplementing one bottle a day will keep you going than do it.

Way too lazy for formula