Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Difficult mornings! Time to wean?

Default Difficult mornings! Time to wean?

Hi all,
    My LO is almost 16 months old. She usually nurse at wakeup, before her nap, and
    before bed. We are having problems with the morning feed. She'll want to nurse for a while & today it was so bad, it was painful. I am wondering if this is a supply issue
    since she doesn't seem to have these issues before nap (which is after lunch) and
    before bed (which is after dinner). Shortly after we get dressed and downstairs, she is usually very hungry & will want milk in her bottle & breakfast.
    Do you think it's a supply issue? Should I start weaning of her of this morning feed since she is so upset & wants to nurse for a really long time?

Thanks!

Default Re: Difficult mornings! Time to wean?

painful nursing after 16 months of no pain? Why do you think the nursing hurt? do you have a plugged duct? is your nipple sore? Or did your dd hurt your nipple due to improper latch or biting?
    i nursed my toddlers b/c it made being a lazy mom easy. And my toddlers sometimes increased the duration and frequency of a nursing session right before coming down w/ a cold or sickness or during a developmental milestone.
    Maybe your pregnant!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Definitely not pregnant!

Not sure why it's painful. Have experienced plugged ducts before & don't have any
    now.

It remains a mystery....

could it be related to af? have you gotten it back yet? i get sore nipples out of nowhere near ovulation, lasting a few days. and i didnt know that was possible until i asked around here

eta: what is it about that nursing that is bad in particular? can you give more details..is it her behavior? whats changed with her behavior? or just that its painful for you?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

This sounds similar to something I go through off and on with my 19mo DD, and have for several months now. She will take spells where that morning nurse goes so long I start getting impatient, and often the areola will start to feel sore. (My actual nipples rarely get sore, but my areolae sometimes feel like they're taking a beating with toddler nursing!)

I hadn't really considered the possibility of inadequate supply. I have been assuming that DD's hungry and taking the easy solution by trying to get breakfast from me--and I've also been assuming that perhaps she's trying to get more than she "should" expect to at this age. (And I hadn't really examined those assumptions until you posted!)

When it starts to get uncomfortable, emotionally and/or physically, I have been trying redirecting by suggesting solids. "Is it time for some strawberries this morning?" Most of the time she'll unlatch and pop up her head, grin, and exclaim "C'mon!" On mornings that she doesn't, I'll usually let it go a few minutes longer, then end the session and tell her why: "Okay, it's diaper time now," or even "We need to go to the kitchen now; Mommy needs coffee!" This has been my personal compromise--instead of a full wean, a "push" in that direction. (I am usually not a morning person, so I relish that morning nursing session as a way--or an excuse? --to ease us into the day.)

I have no idea whether my assumptions are correct, and my experience and solution may not be yours. It may be something to think about, though!
    Last edited by @llli*mama.jen; October 6th, 2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: To clarify time frame. Because I'm compulsive that way.
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

I'd guess the soreness and discomfort are caused by AF or ovulation. (Some women are bothered during PMS, some during ovulation.) Or, teething. Sometimes babies get really intense at the breast around teething, and they kind of "grind" because they're in pain. (That would also explain the increase in nursing times.)

At sixteen months I think you can rest easy about supply issues. Yes, your supply will gradually go down, but it's not going to just disappear. ETA: Except if you're pregnant. A big exception!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks all. I think the soreness is related to her latch. I also have some bite marks
    so she is probably teething.

It's just getting really tough....I don't mind letting her nurse for a while but on
    my work days, it's stressful & she gets so mad at me. Not a good way
    to start the day.

This morning was especially painful so after she nursed for a while & stopped,
    her daddy got her ready & gave her milk downstairs, which seemed to help.

Some days, I would like to keep nursing until she's ready to wean. Other days, I just would like to wean now.

You can set limits on these morning sessions (yes, there might be some tears) without weaning completely. It's not an all or nothing thing. Starting around 12 months, I started trying to teach Joe some nursing manners and also work on the "nursing is a relationship and BOTH people have to enjoy it" concept. Nursing definitely has its ups and downs, and I have definitely had that "OMG, why didn't I wean YESTERDAY!" sensation (also more common when I'm PMSing or Joe is teething and nursing is less comfy). But, you can usually make a few adjustments, and make nursing a more happy experience for everyone. Trying to cut your baby off cold turkey, in the midst of teething, would be very hard, needless to say. Making a few changes might be hard, but it will be easier than that. So just being a pragmatist, that was always my choice.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks Joe's Mom!

I have a big red mark on 1 breast so I imagine that's what is causing the intense
    pain. I have been applying lanolin so hopefully it goes away soon.

I usually tell her "last drink" before bedtime so maybe I need to do that in the
    mornings too. I did that today & it worked well. I think when she's teething or
    dealing w/ some other issue, those are the most difficult times.