Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Devistated

Default Devistated

I've recently been diagnoised with Microscopic colitis. The treatment for this is Pepto 4xday. Pepto is not compatible with bf. I just got back from my dr.'s appointment to find out their is no other treatment available for this. His suggestion is to immediatly quite breastfeeding and start treatment. I nursed dd1 until she was two and planned to do this with dd2. I asked if i could go on a really strict diest (basically the brat diet) until dd2 was ready to wean or that my colitis disappears (it is possible to correct this type of colitis with early treatment). However he said that if I'm malnurishe so with my breast milk....i don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem!? what did you do????
    FYI I have no pump and no funds to buy or rent one I feel like crying!!!
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

Default Re: Devistated

Who told you it's not compatible? I would be getting a hold of Dr Hale's book and getting a second opinion. Very often doctors are extremely cautious when they don't need to be.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

mother risk tld me it's not comptable
    born 03/24/11, and and
    born 03/21/08 Breastfed for 2 yrs, and still when needed

so could you do the BRAT diet plus vitamins? Your body will give the nutrients to the baby first before you, babies have lived on their mothers milk during famine.

Could you get a second opinion as well. Im certainly not a doctor (of medicine) but it seems odd to me that the only treatment that is so critical is an over the counter med.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You might want to contact Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com/ and also seek a second opinion about your own treatment options.

Your doc gave you incorrect information about malnourishment. A mom will continue to provide adequate and nutritious breastmilk unless her malnutrition is so severe that she is starting to starve.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

check this out

I recommend testing for gluten sensitivity and a gluten-free diet as the first line of treatment for microscopic colitis. This appraoch has brought more relief to the sufferers of colitis than any other form of treatment to date. It must be stressed that because the reaction to gluten by microscopic colitis patients is usually not fully developed celiac disease, blood tests for antibodies to gliadin and tissue transglutaminase (the diagnositc tests for gluten sensitivity) are routinely negative.

from here
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm wondering if a modified BRAT might be a better option (with supplemental support like Jenna mentioned). There is tremendous overlap between colitis and celiac, and a lot of colitis patients, even ones who test negative for celiac, see an improvement of their symptoms on a gluten free diet. Are you dealing with an episode of colitis, or a chronic inflammatory type of colitis?

ETA: posted at the same time as Jenna's second post.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I just want to send you hugs and what ever you choose to do, you will find support and encouragement on these forums.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair