Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Experiences at Work

Default Re: Good Experiences at Work

People I work with have been awesome. My boss told me "whatever works for you, works for me.". I was allowed to cover up my office window and pump whenever I need to. Many older co-workers with grown children BFed and give me lots of encouragement and say things like "I'm so glad you're going to keep BFing. It was my favorite part of parenting.". I'm fortunate to have my own office and make my own schedule. I just put a "do not disturb" sign on the door, and I've only been interrupted a couple times. Most people don't know what I'm doing and don't care, but those who do know have been very supportive.

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

I am really enjoying hearing about all the good work environments. A co-worker of mine has been talking about having kids pretty soon (she just got married) and I have been trying to convince her she can BF and work, too. She seems a bit skeptical but I think I can convince her
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I'm a veterinarian. I'm the doc in charge when I'm on. While stopping to pump isn't maybe ideal formmy job, and once in a while I have to quit too soon or don't get to pump on time (and I sure don't get to pump often enough, with one session in the middle of my work day), nobody has complained, and nobody, other than a couple clients who wanted me right now (!), has fussed about the 15 minute block-off. The staff knows it is fairly flexible, but in return, they make sure I get some time to pump. I pump in our consult room, with a nice chair and table to set everything on, and they knock before entering. I have had to read films while pumping, so the staff just sets them up on the viewer and leaves. It's not bad, but I do sort of wonder what my boss will say if I pump after G's next surgery.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm lucky--I have a fairly flexible schedule and an office with a locking door. I arranged my on-going schedule so that I'd have time for pumping, and I've blocked off time as "Unavailable" on my calender. People schedule meetings when I'm available. I've never said what I'm doing, but everyone knows because they see me taking bottles of milk to the fridge or washing pump parts. Our admin used department funds to buy blinds for the window in my door so that people can't see in. We've got a refrigerator and sink I can use. I work while I pump (unless I'm here on the boards), just because I always have so much to do, but things have been good so far!

I have had a really good experience pumping at work. My boss breastfed her son so I think that made me more comfortable to communicate with her. I work at a call center and we have one little room made just for pumping mamas. I am lucky that I am the only one using it right now. In a way I feel bad about that because I feel more mommies should breastfeed. It is however nice to have some worry free time where I can just relax and day dream about baby. Once in a while I get a knock on the door from the cleaning people but that's rare. My coworkers have been really supportive too. I guess I should be more thankful considering the obstacles many others have to contend with.

I've been thinking about this thread, and one thing that seems to make it more likely that you'll have a great experience at work is the presence of other breastfeeding women in the office/work environment. It really makes a difference. So if you're in an environment where you're the first woman to pump and breastfeed, and it's hard, it might really make a difference for the next woman.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It must be nice.. I haven't had ONE pleasant experience at work.. Everyone I talk to about it even customers look at me like I'm and alien and like I'm wasting company and my customers time.. I have even heard comments such as how what I was doing was "disgusting" and pumping at work is the "wrong time to be doing it" .. So glad that everyone else works fort nice people, however where I work Picture me portrait studios under CPICORP they could care less..
    Mommy 2 Melody (my brat) 11.12.08.. BF 4 12 months
    Mommy 2 Kallen (my sweetie) 6.20.11 still BF.. Plan on until 24 months!!

Hello ladies - this is my first official post on the forum (besides in the introductions thread)...

I thought I would have a hard time convincing my employer that I should have several small breaks throughout the day to pump. We're a small company (3 people total - the owner - man, myself and 1 assistant- 60+yr old woman), so the laws requiring employers to provide a space and time to pump doesn't apply to us.

I was pleasently surprised! I scheduled a "back to work meeting" with my boss about a week before I returned to work. I explained that I'm going to continue to breastfeed, and would need 3 breaks throughout the day. I arrived with a plan of how I would accomplish getting in at least 8 hours of worktime each day, etc. My boss has been so supportive. He paid for blinds for my office (the door locks) and I just reserve time on my calendar as unavailable, and no meetings are scheduled during that time. I've had enough practice so that now each break is ony 15 minutes (it was 20-30 in the beginning). He hasn't batted in eye!

I think the key to success in my story is being proactive and explaining before going back to work how important it is to me and being prepared with a plan.
    AmyMarie

Wife to Ben (4/16/10)
    Mother to Alexis (7/20/97)
    and to Reagan (6/16/11)

I was the first person to ever pump at work at my office and I was very nervous about it. But HR was great, I got a private office with a shade on the window. Never had any problems at all. My immediate supervisors were very accomidating when I was pumping. Like if someone wanted a meeting at pump time, he'd say why don't we do a little later. If we were in a meeting, he'd say to me "Don't you have to be somewhere?" He was great. I will miss working with him.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Hey sassypants,
    I just wanted to say you should never have to wash your parts at work. Throw the whole Kit and Caboodle into the Fridge. It's breastmilk so the same rules apply as putting a bottle in the fridge. It's good for 7days. So you never have to spend time washing at work. You can save it for home. And really if you pack and icebag in with the parts you really don't even have to do it everyday.

Way too lazy for formula