Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best method to introduce bottle?

Question Best method to introduce bottle?

Hello Everyone!
    This is my first time posting here. My baby is due at the end of March. I successfully bf my first daughter for 9 months, so I'm feeling pretty confident in my ability with this one (knocking on wood). However, with my first I was never able to get her to accept a bottle (of pumped breast milk) - which meant that for 9 months I couldn't leave her for more than 2 hours at any time... Back then, it was ok, but THIS time I will be forced to return to work. I would love to hear success stories of introducing the bottle to breastfed babies and what your timing and method was. I do NOT want to end up strictly bottle feeding, in fact I plan to personally NEVER offer her the bottle myself, but only my dh and others who's care she may be in.

Thank you all in advance, and well met!

Cindy

Default Re: Best method to introduce bottle?

Hi Cindy! I started introducing a bottle when my dd was about 3 weeks old, but they say that you should wait until at least 3 - 4 weeks until bf is well established. This reduces the risk of nipple confusion. I started out by giving her one bottle the first day. Try to give the bottle during the first feeding when you will be at work. Then each day, increase it by one bottle until you are maintaining a schedule that will take place when you are working. And if possible, have someone else give her the bottle. Iv'e heard other people say that they waited too long to give a bottle and they couldn't get their baby to accept it. Introducing it at a younger age may help. Hope it goes well, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Hi Cindy ~
    I waited a while before introducing the bottle because DS had latch issues. The first few times it didn't work. He was about 3mo and I'm not sure if it was because of the nipple, because it wasn't me, or (as I later discovered) because my milk goes bad quickly even when frozen. We waited about another month before trying again, and about 2wks prior I gave him an empty bottle to play with/suck. By the time we tried again with milk in it, he was thrilled to use the bottle.

kellymom.com also has some great information.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

I introduced the bottle when she was 3 days old b/c my milk wasn't in yet and dd had jaundice. Ped recommended formula until milk came in. Milk arrived on day 5. So her Daddy fed her with the bottle to supplement each breastfeeding from day 3 to day 5. Since then, he gives her a bottle of expressed breastmilk about once a week or so. He gives her the bottle, I give her my breast - so there's no confusion.

Hope this helps!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

we have had horrible time trying to get our 11 week old to accept bottles. i had to reluctantly return to work last week (only to be called home early almost every day) until we found a very new bottle out called "breastflow" made by first years (we got them at babies r us) they have a nipple inside of a nipple and actually mimic letdown. my husband has quite a system. he totally mimics nursing (as close as possible). he wears a shirt that i wear (covered in my scent and milk from leaking it is his "nursing shirt"). he even holds ds in the same positions i do. he allows baby to latch himself on to the nipple (holding the bottle level, not up and down, so it isn't too easy to get milk out) and he always switches sides, sometimes even positions during feeding. this system really seems to work for them, and i have not yet been "rejected" by my son, he still nurses happily same as always...hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you all VERY MUCH for your replies. You've given me some good advice and I am printing this thread so I can refer to it after Mya is born.