Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only wants Mommy

Default Only wants Mommy

DS is 7ish months old. Is this a common time where he is super attached to me? It's kind of driving me crazy. I work in the day, so I am very glad that he wants to be with me and loves me... but when DH gets home from work, he wants to play with DS too. And DS will just wail if I put him down or leave the room. He'll usually settle down and enjoy Daddy time, but sometimes I have to come back and carry him around as I try to do chores. It makes it difficult making dinner, cleaning up, etc. Is this a phase that will pass soon??

Also, it's totally not helping that sleep is at an all-time low right now. Something must be going on with DS (more teeth?), because it's just getting ridiculous.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Only wants Mommy

Everything you describe belongs in a baby book under the heading "totally normal, intensely frustrating, and temporary". It wil pass, I promise! My DD2 was a total mommy's girl at 7 months- I couldn't put her down and she wouldn't sleep except on top of me (literally- she used my head as a pillow), but now, at 17 months, she's the ultimate daddy's girl. She could care less where I am unless she wants to nurse or unless I need a shower- she still objects to that for some reason, and stands at the tub, peeking in and yelling at me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Totally normal. I had one kid who would cry if I turned my face away from him. But it did pass. This will too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Normal. same thing happened to me and it lasted a long time...but it did pass now she's running away at all and every opportunity. This was the age I thought to invest in a baby carrier like an ergo. When she got all clingy, DH would load her into the back carry and I would do chores with her on my back (NOT crying, that's the important part). I couldn't stand the crying and DH trying ineffectually to stop her. Also she was mobile so she would drag herself over to me and cry while watching me
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Normal. same thing happened to me and it lasted a long time...but it did pass now she's running away at all and every opportunity. This was the age I thought to invest in a baby carrier like an ergo. When she got all clingy, DH would load her into the back carry and I would do chores with her on my back (NOT crying, that's the important part). I couldn't stand the crying and DH trying ineffectually to stop her. Also she was mobile so she would drag herself over to me and cry while watching me
    My DD was the exact same! She'd pull herself (couldn't quite crawl, but could drag herself with her arms) over to me in the kitchen, and then pull herself up on my pants legs and just stand there holding my legs, crying. Sometimes she'd try to crawl through my legs, so I'd be standing there cooking, with a crying baby standing underneath me.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

My ten month old is getting better with my husband, but still wants to be with me most of the time. My husband has always been able to take him on short walks or out on the deck, though. Maybe your husband could try taking your son outside to do something.

Ergo!!! As far as I am concerned, my Ergo is worth it's weight in gold. Plus it is easy and super discreet to nurse in it while we're out (I walk or take trains almost everywhere, so a good carrier that I can nurse in is really important to me). I've gotten to the point where I can sit on the couch and get my little guy on my back solo.