Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wake to feed? Oversupply too?

Default Wake to feed? Oversupply too?

My son is 9 days old today (was born at 37w5d) via emergency c-section. In the hospital we were told to wake him every 2-3 hours to feed him. We are still doing that all day and night. He rarely wakes on his own because we are always waking him to feed. When can we stop waking him and wait for him to wake and give us cues?

Also, I believe that I have an oversupply and an over active let down. Feedings are very stressful for the both of us. If I try to feed him as soon as I wake him up he is too sleepy and won't latch. If I try to feed after I wake him, change his diaper and strip him it is like he is too hungry and then frustrated and won't latch. He cries and roots but won't latch. It sometimes takes 20-30 minutes to actaully get him to latch to feed. The reasons I think I have the oversupply/over-active let down are: He usually chokes at least 1 time per feeding, he is gassy all of the time, my breasts are engorged a lot of the time, sometimes only actively sucks for as little as 6 minutes but sometimes it is as long as 35 minutes. I have tried different feeding positions and none of them seem to help. Does it sound like I this is indeed what I have? What suggestions do you have?

This morning from 5:15-7:45 we went rounds with him rooting but not latching then falling asleep. When I would put him down he would start rooting again but then not latch.

He has plenty of dirty and wet diapers on a daily basis. He is content all of the time or sleeps well except during the feeding process. Are these the most important things?

Thank you in advance for your help! I am committed to this process but it is very frustrating right now!

Default Re: Wake to feed? Oversupply too?

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! I hope you're healing okay from the c-section?

At just 9 days old, you should continue to wake the baby every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3 at night, particularly because your baby was a tand early and that tends to cause babies to be a little bit sleepier than average, and sleepy babies are at risk for not taking in enough milk to grow and thrive. I would continue to wake him for at least another couple of weeks, despite the good diaper output you're getting. And you are absolutely correct that good diaper output is what you want to be seeing right now!

The stressful feedings you describe sound like a combination of 2 different issues. First of all, I think your baby is still learning the ropes when it comes to breastfeeding, and that means that sometimes he will not quite know what to do when he gets to the breast. Think about it this way: up until 9 days ago your baby go all his nutrition through his umbilical cord, without having to work for it. Now he has to master latching on, sucking, swallowing, breathing, digesting- it's a lot for him to deal with!

Second, what you desrcibe does sound like you are dealing with some oversupply issues. Frequent engorgement means some degree of oversupply, but this is quite normal when you have a 9 day old baby! The best thing you can do right now is probably nothing. Just be patient and give your supply some time to adjust. Reclined nursing positions may help, since gravity can slow the milk flow. If you go more than, say, another week or so without feeling some improvement in your supply situation, then you might want to consider doing some single-sided feeding in order to decrease supply a bit more rapidly. But you're really early in your breastfeeding journey, so I don't think I'd go there quite yet!

I know what you are dealing with is very, very frustrating, but if you are patient and persistent it will improve, I promise!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Wake to feed? Oversupply too?

Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better to know it is normal to be struggling right now.

One more question: I just finished a feeding and started at 9:27. It was a messy on and off feeding with lots of crying and then latching. It ended at 10:20 when he finally slipped off and did not make an attempt to get back on. Do I wake him in 2-3 hours from when we started or when we ended the feeding?

Thank you!!!