Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Helpp Tennis ball lump!!!

Default Helpp Tennis ball lump!!!

I woke up this morning and my right boob felt a little full. Then in the afternoon it felt like my baby had not nursed all morning and she had about 3 time. Now it is the size of a tennis ball hard and bumpy and it hurts when my lo latches on. She is 7 months i have tried warm water and i have been nursing her every 1 to 3 hours. It is starting to hurts...What is it and what do i do?

Default Re: Helpp Tennis ball lump!!!

It sounds like a plugged duct. This link covers what to do and what to look for: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html. In particular you want to stay alert for symptoms of mastitis (fever, chills, malaise, aches and pains, red streaks/patches on the skin of the breast).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Helpp Tennis ball lump!!!

Yes, agree with PP. Sometimes it takes work, persistence and time until it clears, so don't get discouraged even if you're taking all the measures. How do you apply warm water? For me what worked were very long hot showers, and also plunging my breast into a bowl of warm water. I remember one day taking four showers plus several "dips in the bowl"! Nurse your LO right after the warm water. Nurse A LOT and keep massaging the lump while you nurse, in the direction of your nipple, so that you help unplug. Also, when in the shower try hand-expressing and massaging.
    Someone here on the boards said she slept with a heating pad on the breast and nursed all night long, and that worked.
    Keep working on it and as PP said, watch out for signs of mastitis (if you have any signs, call your doctor). Good luck!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one