Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to eat sushi

Default Re: Is it possible to eat sushi

I have several friends who are from Japan. They find it odd that women in America are afraid to eat sushi while pregnant or nursing. From what they describe, most women in Japan continue to eat sushi even while pregnant.

I avoided raw fish during pregnancy, but sushi with a cold beer was the first meal I had at home after having DD. At 14mos, DD was already eating some sushi herself.

I ate sushi while pregnant (abstained from the raw/uncooked rolls though). Now that I'm nursing, I will eat raw sushi too. The key thing is, we eat at a reputable sushi restaurant -- if I were concerned about listeria or any other bacteria contamination, I wouldn't be eating their sushi... nursing or not.

I eat sushi 1-2 times a week raw and cooked
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

There were a few times I ate raw sushi during my pregnancy. I'm not proud of it, but many women in Japan eat it during their entire pregnancy. We're very cautious over here.

I can't believe there are healthcare providers advocating against sushi PP. That seams a little extreme. Do they also tell you to avoid soft cheeses?
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

I ate sushi while pg and nursing and my son was under one when he had raw fish (toro) for the first time. I just ate fish from a place I trust. People have died from listeria in cantaloup so
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The whole caution about raw fish is a moot point in the US anyway. All fish that is served raw is required to be flash frozen, that kills parasites as much as cooking would. I ate sushi on regular basis while I was pregnant (about twice a month). I also lived in Japan for a few years and most women there eat it throughout pregnancy...

Definitely no reason to deprive yourself PP!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    All fish that is served raw is required to be flash frozen, that kills parasites as much as cooking would.
    Really?!? What a lame bummer.

I dunno. I've been eating sushi for a long time now. I even started drinking wine again once in awhile. I figure I deserve it!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!