Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to eat sushi

Question Is it possible to eat sushi

while bf a 14 mo old? I know it's out of the question before a year but i've been craving it so much since pregnancy!
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Default Re: Is it possible to eat sushi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*foreveradancer View Post
    while bf a 14 mo old? I know it's out of the question before a year but i've been craving it so much since pregnancy!
    Why would you not eat sushi while breastfeeding? I never heard of that before. I actually had my DH bring sushi into the hospital after I delivered and enjoyed it often while nursing. I think you should indulge and ENJOY!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I did the same as PP. I craved sushi so bad while pregnant, and didn't want to risk it. I eat it all the time while nursing and there is no issue. Just go to a good place so you don't get food poisioning (you would get sick not baby). Nursing is not fun if mama is sick.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

And if there is any question at all, you can stick to the cooked fish.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

It's fine. AFAIK, you're only supposed to avoid sushi while pregnant, so there's a good chance you've been depriving yourself for 14 months for no reason...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Why would you not eat sushi while breastfeeding? I never heard of that before. I actually had my DH bring sushi into the hospital after I delivered and enjoyed it often while nursing. I think you should indulge and ENJOY!
    Health care providers ask that we refrain from fish bc of certain bacteria that could pass through the milk, specially listeria
    Wife to my DH, Ryan

Great... well now i know in case i have another one *sigh*
    Wife to my DH, Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*foreveradancer View Post
    Health care providers ask that we refrain from fish bc of certain bacteria that could pass through the milk, specially listeria
    Are you from the US? I wonder if it is different in various places? I know that in the US pregnant woman are warned about listeria because when pregnant you are more susceptible to the disease and are cautioned against eating sushi and uncooked deli meats. However, once you deliver the baby all foods are allowed while nursing including alcohol in moderation, sushi, deli meats, whatever you desire! Listeria generally affects pregnant woman and elderly.

Enjoy that sushi momma, I always get that craving once a month.. Lol.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I still went to my fave sushi place even when preggo. However I changed what I ordered so that there was no sashimi (actual raw fish). You can still enjoy shrimp (steamed), crab (steamed or processed steamed fish), california rolls, cucumber, avocado, etc. So you can still get your fix.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

We postponed my birthday dinner until after DS1 was born so I could have raw oysters.

Here is information from Kellymom about this issue.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting