Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy baby, PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Fussy baby, PLEASE HELP!!!

My little boy is 7 weeks old, and for the last week he's been a lot fussier than normal. He had been nursing for 30 to 40 minuts every 3 to 4 hours during the day, but for the last week he's been screaming to eat every 2 to 2 and a half hours and only eating for 10 to 15 minutes and gourging for the first 5 to 10 minutes of feeding, then starts screaming at my breast. If I pull him off to burp he usually spits up. If I try to put him back on all he does is scream like a banche. IF I switch to the other side he'll nurse the other side, but only for about three to five minutes then its the same thing on that side. He seems ike he's still hungry when he's done making all the usual hunger cues, but if I offer the breast all he does is scream. If I give him the passifier, he takes it and calms down. I'm worried that he's not getting enough, but I'm not sure. Is it possible that he's just more efficiant than he used to be? It seems like the second side still feels full when he's done.
    I was worried maybe it was a food aversion, so I've been avoiding dairy for a few days. At first it seemed like it was helping, but today he was just as bad a before. I've also tried tinny tummies gas drops, and gripe water. Also the Dr. gave me reflux drops.

What I want to know is if anyone else has delt with this... is it a growth spurt, a food aversion or just behavioral?
    Thanks

Default Re: Fussy baby, PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh, gosh, it's hard to say for sure, but the frequent nursing sessions sure sound like a growth spurt to me! Seven weeks is a common time for a growth spurt - it's also the traditionally, one of the most fussy times for babies (6-8 weeks is usually the peak of colic-type behavior). If this behavior really kicks in during the afternoon/early evening, that is classic, textbook baby behavior at this age.

It sounds like you are doing everything right - offering the breast, and when that doesn't work, trying other methods. If you're seeing good diaper output (6-8 wets per day) I really wouldn't worry that he's not getting enough. Babies do get more efficient at the breast in time. It sounds like your baby does well when offered the second side, so keep doing that when he pops off the first side. He may nurse a shorter time on that second side - just keep switching sides and letting him nurse as long as he wants. If he's wanting to nurse all the time, that will in itself increase your supply, so let him nurse as much as he wants. If it's a growth spurt, it may be hard for a couple of days, but then it should calm down again. Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks! I'll keep trying. How long would be to long so that I would need to be conderned that maybe its not a growth spurt?

Hang in there mama.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*knitmama View Post
    Thanks! I'll keep trying. How long would be to long so that I would need to be conderned that maybe its not a growth spurt?
    If the fussiness is mostly in the evenings, I'd guess normal colic + potential growth spurt.

As far as your supply, honestly, unless you see a decrease in wet diapers, or your baby is not gaining weight, I just wouldn't worry. Although it's hard, the fact that breastfeeding is associated with some crying doesn't mean your baby's not getting enough. Sometimes, fussy eating is actually a sign of fast letdown and oversupply!

Reflux characteristically acts up a lot at night, and babies have an aversion to lying down flat, and prefer to be help upright. So if the behavior you're describing goes all night long, with no breaks, I'd be more concerned about that. Usually, colicky babies are fussy in the afternoon/evening, but it should calm down by the early hours of the morning at the latest.

This is a really fussy time! Hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.