Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would you describe a good latch?

Default Re: How would you describe a good latch?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    I finally found a web site by Dr. Jack Nicholson that actually showed me how to latch a baby

Actually it's Jack NEWMAN But it's a great site. Here's the link:

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

I should point out that this is a non-LLL site. However, Dr. Newman is a respected breastfeeding professional and LLL references a lot of his work in their publications!

Enjoy!

Jen
    I have never been able to get the clips on Newman's sight to work..all I get is gibberish! I do hope others can because a picture is worth a thousand words!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Default Re: How would you describe a good latch?

Although breastfeeding should not be painful, the first week or so may make your breasts tender-not sore, but tender. I experianced this with my daughter, and it came as a surprise since I didn't get that with my son. I know for me, her latch wasn't great at first-she was very closed mouth about latching. Pushing gently on her chin to get her to open wide helped within a few dyas. Also, if you find yourself tender, try also switching positions-go from a cradle hold, to cross cradle, to football-whatever feels good. And, using lanolin was a god send to me-after every feeding I'd put some on and it felt soooooo good!!!!

If you can attend a meeting of LLL then go ahead and do so, cause I'm sure that it would certainly help.