Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you describe a good latch?

Default How would you describe a good latch?

I'm due in Jan. and have been reading up on breastfeeding and attending la leche league meetings.

The other night I had a dream that I was breastfeeding my baby and it felt so right

In a couple of sentences what are some key phrases or tips to keep in mind when trying to get a good latch.

Some things that have stood out in my readings are:

Hold your baby so that her tummy and knees are against your tummy, and her head is nestled in the bend of your elbow. (For tradiitional hold)

Hold the baby close to you.

Make sure the baby opens her mouth wide and then bring her close to you so that the tip of her nose barely touches your breast.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: How would you describe a good latch?

I'm a visual person. I read al that stuff too and still had a bad latch and pain for 6 weeks. I finally found a web site by Dr. Jack Nicholson that actually showed me how to latch a baby, that was a miracle!!! I'll try to find it again and give you a link. Best of luck and good for you on trying to get as much nfo as you can.

Then main thing is the baby goes on, you feel it and it doesn't hurt. This is accomplished by shoving as much of your breast as possible into their WIDE OPEN mouths. And not letting them just suck your nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Then main thing is the baby goes on, you feel it and it doesn't hurt. This is accomplished by shoving as much of your breast as possible into their WIDE OPEN mouths. And not letting them just suck your nipple.
    Definitely what DJ's mom said. Also, if you feel pain at the latch, your baby may not be latched properly, so you may need to unlatch the baby and try again. Of course there are other things that can cause nipple pain, but I'm not even going to go there. You don't need to worry about those things unless you experience them.

My DD is 3 1/2 weeks old and we are just starting to get comfortable with latching well. Some mothers don't get the latch perfected for awhile, so just remember to not get too frustrated and don't give up if you have trouble.

Keep going to the LLL meetings, read up and watch videos - you will do just fine!!! Good luck to you with your breastfeeding & with the birth of your baby!!

I finally found a web site by Dr. Jack Nicholson that actually showed me how to latch a baby

Actually it's Jack NEWMAN But it's a great site. Here's the link:

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

I should point out that this is a non-LLL site. However, Dr. Newman is a respected breastfeeding professional and LLL references a lot of his work in their publications!

Enjoy!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I was thinking about your post when I was feeding Ashelyn earlier and I wanted to add that when your baby latches, you want to see his or her lips flanged (sp) i.e. rolled outward on your breast. You don't want baby's lips to be rolled inward towards his or her gums - does that make sense??

You will see that in the videos.

I will mention the sensations that go along with a good latch (how it FEELS is actually more important than how it looks, in the end.)

Once the baby is latched on and nursing, you should feel a "tug, tug" and not a "pinch-pinch" feeling.

I remember with the first feeding or two, being so unaccustomed to the new sensations (and so exhausted and dazed after giving birth!) that I couldn't even say whether it was painful or not. My doula gave me a good guideline -- she gave a firm downward tug on my earlobe and suggested that a good latch would be no more painful than that.

What a wonderful dream you had! Hang on to that dream-memory and let it be your guide. There is a learning curve at first, but once the kinks are worked out, many mothers find that breastfeeding is deeply satisfying and just feels so right. I am getting excited for you!

Quote Originally Posted by DebiMommyTo2 View Post
    I was thinking about your post when I was feeding Ashelyn earlier and I wanted to add that when your baby latches, you want to see his or her lips flanged (sp) i.e. rolled outward on your breast. You don't want baby's lips to be rolled inward towards his or her gums - does that make sense??

You will see that in the videos.

Makes sense thank you!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Dear NYWIFEY....Congrats on the immpending arrival! My son is 5 weeks old and we are still working on the latch. For some women it can come naturally, but for a lot...including me..it takes time and PRACTICE. Your doing the right thing by getting as much info as possible before hand. I strongly recommend taking a class and/or attending a LLL meeting. If you do run into difficulty, this site is a great resource for info and support! I wish you the best of luck

Congrats on your future baby. I have to agree with the advice above to attend the class, it is the most helpful and I had a support group of women who went through this and they all were there with me and helped me when I was sore and tired. I know when we got a good latch ,when my baby has fish lips and she gets a beautiful ring aroung her lips from where they folded. I used to have to pull her bottom lip out by gentle pulling on her chin when she was nursing so it would stick out but after a few weeks she did it all by herself and the good news my baby is 17 weeks now and now basically latched on without any help it is great!!!!