Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactose intolerant?

Exclamation Lactose intolerant?

Our one month old baby is fussy during the day and wont sleep, also he passes loads of gas and his poop seems diarreic. Our pediatrician diagnosed him as lactose intolerant, eventhough he's only been breastfed since he was born and argues that my breastmilk is causing him this "problem". He told us to feed him with formula and to breastfeed him only with half the milk he's been drinking. We arent happy with this diagnose since we are aware only 5 -15 % of babies actually are intolerant. Please help us with some advice should we see another pediatrician? or follow the prevoious advice blindly? thanks!

Default Re: Lactose intolerant?

pediatricians are experts at diagnosing illnesses. unfortunately sometimes they perceive normal baby fussiness as a symptom of a non existent problem. your breastmilk is not causing your baby fussiness or gassiness. human infants are never intolerant to their mothers milk. human milk is for human babies. that's just the way it is.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

True lactose intolerance in human babies is extraordinarily rare (and life threatening!). What's more common is babies who are intolerant to cow's milk dairy enzymes in their mother's milk. So cutting out dairy can be helpful sometimes. But I'm not convinced that's your problem either - you might want to check out our food allergy subforum - lots of experts there! What I do know is that your doctor's recommendation makes NO SENSE given his diagnosis. How would formula (which has lactose in it) and half your milk help lactose intolerance??? That's just stupid. Sorry. So definitely keep looking for answers, but I wouldn't take that advice very seriously.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

This... This doc's advice is a joke, right? Please tell me it's a joke. Seriously.

As JoMo said, true lactose intolerance in a baby is extraordinarily rare. This link covers lactose intolerance in babies: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html. If you read through it, you will see that true lactose intolerance really is a life-threatening condition, not just something which causes fussiness and gas.

Frankly, there's no way I'd take your pediatirician's advice unless I got several corroborating opinions from pediatricians from different practices, and unless I eliminated all alternative causes for the gassiness and fussiness, including allergies, intolerances, reflux, and milk oversupply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would see another pediatrician. However, you may run into the same issue with another! So many are quick to offer formula rather than diagnose the problem. I am currently dealing with this! Perhaps a visit to a LC would be a great start. She could advise if you have potential issues of over supply, over-active letdown, or a fore milk, hind milk imbalance. These three things alone can cause gassiness and diarrhea like symptoms. If these aren't the culprit, the next would be checking allergies or intolerances. As PP have said, a milk intolerance is EXTREMELY rare, so this is probably not the case. Good luck, and keep us posted!

You need a new doctor. A quick google search taught me about the difference between lactose intolerance and milk protein allergy- and I don't even have a medical degree!

Dear friends,
    Thank you very much for your advice. Indeed, we went to see a different and more experienced pediatrician who also knows a lot about alternative medicine and promotes breastfeeding. She told us that my boy Pablito is allergic to cow's milk protein in my milk, as JoMo thought. Doctor was very emphatic in telling us that breastfeeding Shouldn't need to be cut out under any circumstances, only a change in my diet was enough. Since that day, I cut out dairy from my diet and things are getting a lot better . Pablito is taking more naps and he doesn´t seem so annoyed all the time. I really appreciate your advice since without you I wouldn´t have looked for a different opinion