Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    65

    Default Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken.

    He's not even two months old and this morning I am seeing the familiar symptoms return. After three courses of antibiotics. If someone quotes Kellymom I'm going to punch something. I am in agony. Sitting here crying because I know how much it's going to hurt when he latches on.

    Help me. What can I do? I have tried everything. I think I am going to have to wean because this is torture.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    860

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    hold on tight momma! please don't wean. Mastitis that returns is a warning that something other than just your breast tissue is fighting with an infection. Check you teeth! sometimes a cavity is to blame, or a sinus infection. Please go to a doctor and make sure you don't have a UTI or a bladder infection. Mastitis that re-occurs this often is not par for the course.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    First of all... many s. I followed your story from your previous post and I am so sorry you have to go through all of this.

    Second, whatever you decide to do in the long run, it's not a good idea to wean during a bout of mastitis. It could make it worse and you could end up with a more serious condition, like an abscess. I understand it's terribly painful for you to nurse now, but even for your own good you should push through. Would Ibuprofen help with the pain and inflammation?

    Third, I second the advice you got from PP and in your other post. There might be something else going on, as your issues seem to be too frequent and intense. Perhaps thrush, perhaps another infection in the body, perhaps something else entirely. Is it possible for you to get a second opinion from a different doctor? Someone who will work with you to see the cause of so many recurring bouts?

    Mama, you need some TLC not just for your breasts but for your whole body and mind. And whatever you decide to do, you need to recover from this infection first. I hope you have some help and support so you can get the medical care and rest you need.

    More s

    PS. I also wonder if you have an infection that's become resistant to the antibiotics (and perhaps never went away completely in the first place)? In this case you'd need to try different antibiotics... again, you need a patient doctor who will pay attention to your case.
    march 2011... the light of my life

    i love my little one

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,271

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post

    PS. I also wonder if you have an infection that's become resistant to the antibiotics (and perhaps never went away completely in the first place)? In this case you'd need to try different antibiotics... again, you need a patient doctor who will pay attention to your case.
    x 1000. This is more or less exactly what happened to a friend of mine. She had mastitis almost constantly for 6 months- how she continued to nurse through that I will never know!- and finally after months and months of repeat antibiotics and repeat infections she found a doc who referred her to a better hospital and got her a bacterial culture. Turned out she was suffering from a fierce drug-resistant strain of bacteria, but one course of the CORRECT antibiotics wiped it out for good and she never got mastitis again. She nursed for 3 years!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,983

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    Keep looking for answers, mama! This is not normal! You can get past this. Do you have really bad oversupply? If that is contributing, we can help you lower your supply and hopefully reduce the incidence of mastitis.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    You need a culture. You probably have drug-resistant bacteria as part of the problem. But.... Are you sure it's mastitis and not a plug? I got lots of plugs that FELT like mastitis, but drugs didn't help those Just something to think about.

    Thinking about root causes too...do you get plugs easily?

    Weaning during mastitis is a BAD idea. It's best to keep draining the breast as completely and as often as you can.

    Have you thought about wool nursing pads? Sounds weird, but I'm sure they helped keep me from having plugs all the time (before that, I had plugs and mastitis all the time!)

    Go to bed, take ibuprofen and nurse. And get a culture done!!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    First of all... many s. I followed your story from your previous post and I am so sorry you have to go through all of this.

    Second, whatever you decide to do in the long run, it's not a good idea to wean during a bout of mastitis. It could make it worse and you could end up with a more serious condition, like an abscess. I understand it's terribly painful for you to nurse now, but even for your own good you should push through. Would Ibuprofen help with the pain and inflammation?
    Thanks. Am taking highest dose of Ibuprofen I can take and it's not working. I cannot put him on that breast. The nipple pain is beyond anything. Right now I am hand-expressing as much as I can. The last three times I've had this, I nursed as much as possible and got the worst giant nipple blister from it. In fact the nipple still isn't healed up from the last bout. I cannot endure that again. I just can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Third, I second the advice you got from PP and in your other post. There might be something else going on, as your issues seem to be too frequent and intense. Perhaps thrush, perhaps another infection in the body, perhaps something else entirely. Is it possible for you to get a second opinion from a different doctor? Someone who will work with you to see the cause of so many recurring bouts?
    Both doctors I have seen won't take a milk culture and don't think thrush is a factor because "His mouth doesn't have spots! So it can't be thrush!" Yeah. I'm getting back on the antibiotics and hoping it will give me some relief.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Mama, you need some TLC not just for your breasts but for your whole body and mind. And whatever you decide to do, you need to recover from this infection first. I hope you have some help and support so you can get the medical care and rest you need.

    More s

    PS. I also wonder if you have an infection that's become resistant to the antibiotics (and perhaps never went away completely in the first place)? In this case you'd need to try different antibiotics... again, you need a patient doctor who will pay attention to your case.
    Thank you for the encouragement. Right now I am just trying to take it moment by moment. If I have an abscess then so be it. It could not get worse at this point but I just can't nurse him anymore on this side. I think you're right that it hasn't really gone away from the start, by the way its reacting.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,440

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post
    the worst giant nipple blister from it. In fact the nipple still isn't healed up from the last bout.

    Both doctors I have seen won't take a milk culture
    There is something wrong with the latch if nursing --even 24/7 nursing -- gave you a blister. You cannot get nipple trauma from a good latch. And see a new doctor. Call your midwife or OB and TELL them what you want.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,983

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    There is something wrong with the latch if nursing --even 24/7 nursing -- gave you a blister. You cannot get nipple trauma from a good latch. And see a new doctor. Call your midwife or OB and TELL them what you want.
    Or, the nipple pain could be thrush! I wish your doctor would take that suggestion more seriously! I agree, call your midwife/OB (they may be more willing to treat you, even if your baby is asymptomatic) or contact an IBCLC and try to get someone to give you better answers! This is not right. If you have thrush (and you can have thrush and mastitis at the same time - it's NOT FUN), the antibiotics are likely to make it worse!


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: Mastitis, 4th time. I feel so broken

    great advice mama. i agree about it sounding like its just not going away.

    when i read your initial post my first thought was thrush. because you mentioned the pain as though it is constant while nursing.

    i had mastitis once and i wanted to nurse my son, the pain was isolated to the region that was clogged, i did not have pain in the breast other than that (not counting the flu like symptoms). maybe you are different, just wanted to share my experience.

    definitely see another dr, you deserve more attention.

    feel better mama
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; October 4th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •