Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG - Why Won't She Sleep?!?!?

Unhappy OMG - Why Won't She Sleep?!?!?

My LO is now 15 wks today, I would always brag about how she slept through the night pretty much since birth (and now I'm paying for it...). The past 3 nights she has woken up @ 1, 2 and now 3. I wouldn't care so much about this but it makes everything more screwed up than what it already is. She used to take only 2 bottles during the day while I'm @ work but now she won't sleep for my mom (this has been going on for a few weeks) for more than 30-45 minutes which is causing her to drink 3 bottles now ranging from 3-5 oz per bottle over a 8.5 hours away from me. (I know they need 1-1.5 oz every hour) What little stash I had and was comfortable with is now getting smaller. (I pump 4x a day and get approx. 5 oz total each time) She is also so tired when I pick her up after work that she cries and fusses the majority of the night and I'm about to go crazy! Dad broke his wrist a month ago (had surgery 2 wks ago) so he can't do anything but hold her while sitting on the couch and she cries so I have to take her. Weekends are horrible and we can't go out because she hates the car and won't sleep. I have no other family around who can watch my LO so I can do something for me or go shopping and I hate asking my mom to watch her after taking care of her all week....I cry almost everyday!!
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: OMG - Why Won't She Sleep?!?!?

Good morning minitwo!
    I am sorry that you are having sleep/eating issues with you LO.
    It is hard balancing the needs of an infant and the needs of a household. I hope your DH feels better soon. what an inopportune time to break his wrist!
    La Leche league is a great place to let it all out and relieve the inequality between how you want your day to day life to be and the hard realities of modern life.
    I cried too after the birth of my DD#1. Until I let go of the illusion of what being a perfect wife and mother looks like and just accepted that good enough is really good enough.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I would agree that trying to get out to a LLL meeting might help... it really helped me and I was able to safely and comfortably feed DD if she got hungry. Also, if you are pumping 4x a day and getting 5oz, you might try giving your LO a little less in each bottle during the day so that you have a little extra in case you want to run out for a little bit at night. I totally can relate to the cranky baby in the evenings b/c DH has a hard time getting her to sleep when he watches her. Fortunately, she still goes to bed around 9PM and sleeps until 4-5AM. She's been STTN for quite a long time, too, but I think much of it has to do with us developing a bedtime routine/ritual early on. I know you said that you don't have a routine, but maybe now is time to start. I am not rigid about it, but try to give her a bath at least every other day, and then lotion her up, put on her PJ's, rock and nurse her, and then put her to bed. On nights I don't bathe her, I do everything else. I also put on a dim light and turn on her cool mist humidifier, which serves to help with congestion and also provides white noise. She seems to know that all this signified bedtime. As for feeding, she doesn't have a strict schedule, but generally feeds about the same time every day, within an hour or so, and often does want to feed more often at night with me. I suspect much of it is comfort nursing. Hang in there mama, and keep coming back here for support. I know it helps me TONS!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

That's about the age almost ALL babies switch it up. The good sleepers become bad sleepers, and the bad sleepers become horrible sleepers. Nothing to do but give it some time. Things are starting to happen with baby, which messes up their sleep, like she's probably about to be become mobile, or is starting to feel teeth move (they start moving long before they pop up). But those things mess with their sleep.

If you are pumping 20 oz a day while you are apart from baby, that's enough for the day plus a bit. You should not be using your freezer stash, even if she is drinking 15 oz a day. You should have an overage of about 5 oz, more than enough for you to duck out for several hours every night if you wanted. Are you sure baby isn't being overfed, contributing to her crankiness?

And you won't like this but for now, you might not get to go out without baby. If you don't have one, a sling will make it so you can go shopping but baby can be with you. Or you can get her to sleep a bit with that. And if you aren't cosleeping, you might want to look into it. I had one baby who woke NINE times a night on average for his first year of life, and seriously, I would have lost it if I had had to get up.

Regarding the car...it takes time and practice, honestly, for them to get over that. And if you are using the infant seat -- the one that pops out -- many babies find that type of seat very uncomfortable and cry in the car. Changing to a convertible seat might help your baby be happier in the car. I understand how distressing this is though; my last two babies cried all the time in the car, and we figured out that our second would get carsick very easily, and I have no option but to take them in the car (the nearest grocery is over 10 miles away).

Are you sure you don't have PPD? Crying daily after the first few weeks postpartum is a red flag.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a moby wrap that i need to use more I guess when we try to go out. How would a convertible car seat make a difference? DH won't go for the co-sleeping and i toss too much to feel safe trying it out. We have a pretty good routine at night, its just keeping her asleep now that's the biggest issue. She does sleep in our room still though. I have thought about PPD and had planned mentioning it next Tuesday at my Dr appointment.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

But you can't expect consistency in sleep in a 15 week old. You just can't. If you got a good long stretch of time when she was younger you are very very lucky. But the on,y thing you can COUNT on in terms of sleep the first year is CHANGE. She is going to wake and her sleep patterns are going to continue to change. At night and in the day time and she hits milestones and begins to let go of nap times. 4months is the prime time for this to begin because they begin to hit motor skill milestones. Swinging at batting at toys. Is a major one. And then at 6 months the teething will begin and then crawling and cruising and walking. So mentally, I think the best thing to do is accept that it's an ever changing animal that you really have very little control over and not try to "fix" it helps a ton.
    During the day time try having your mother walk her in stroller nap. But the issue really may be that she is trying to let one go. So if you SKIP one altogether and shift the times of the others that may help as well. At night, if the circuits in her brain are working to develop motor skill.....it sometimes just causes wakefulness. I think at Kellymom.com there is a good bit called "The wakeful 4month old." You should look at that.

Way too lazy for formula

My son started off sleeping super well, 6-8 hour stretches every night, up until he was around 3.5 months. Then he went through a stretch where he was waking up about 3-4 times per night, which was rough because it coincided with when I returned to school. I didn't full time cosleep, but my husband would bring him to the bed for me to feed him and I would fall asleep and when I just naturally woke up I would return my son to his crib. I am a tosser and turner as well, but believe me, you won't roll on baby unless you are inebriated. If your husband won't cosleep you might consider sleeping in another bed, or kicking him out. Its easy for him to say he doesn't want to do something when it isn't him having to get up and stay up in the night.

We have a convertible carseat and an infant one and my son MUCH prefers the convertible. It is cushier and allows more room for adjustment and is more upright for his back. My son also went through a period around this time you're in where he wouldn't nap or sleep. The way we solved the issue was returning to swaddling, that worked for us. Is there anything about the sleeping arrangement for your daughter that has changed recently?

Finally, like PPs said, babies go through phases. I thought my son was never going to get back to good sleep habits, but he just recently went 2 nights in a row of 6-7 hours stretches of sleep.

I agree with the other posters about sleep. At 15 weeks, most babies do wake up at night. Some more than others. You were lucky to get a lot of sleep from her early on. My son is 8 months and nurses 3-4 times at night, we do co-sleep though, so I mostly don't wake up when he nurses all the way. That said, if you have ppd it will make everything seem worse. So get that treated for sure. And sorry you're feeling so bad. But sttn at 15 weeks, especially reliably? That's an unrealistic expectation...I found that if made PPD worse, way worse with my 2 older kids, because I expected too much.

And the convertible car seat will probably be more comfortable. That said, some babes just hate the car till they are a bit older.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

The convertible carseats just are more comfortable. I can't explain it. But I think the angle is different.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My son did this between 14 and 15 wks too. He had been sleeping 6-8 hrs for a while, then boom... psycho nights like when we first brought him home. I read a lot here on LLL and in books that at his age it was normal, but I still felt pretty "over it" from the lack of sleep. Then, after a particularly rough sleepless night, I put DS down for a nap and returned 15 minutes later to find that, omg, he'd rolled over onto his tummy for the first time! He spent the rest of the day (and unfortunately the better part of that night) mastering his rolling skills. But by the next night, he was sleeping 5 or 6 hrs again. In the two weeks since, we've had both good and bad nights--but at least now when DS wakes repeatedly I just assume something new and amazing is about to happen.

I know that things are very hard for you right now, especially with DH incapacitated like that. Gosh, you must be stretched to the limit. But I hope that you can take some small comfort in knowing that your LO's sleep changes are most likely just some sort of exciting developmental milestones brewing.