Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to lose weight!!!

Exclamation Need to lose weight!!!

Hi!

I am in the Army and I went back to work 2 weeks ago. The Army gives postpartum Soldiers 6 months from the date that we gave birth to meet height and weight standards and to pass a Physical Fitness Test.

I have already start doing Physical Training 2 weeks ago. However, I need to lose 25 lbs by January 22. This is a must for me. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I know that I can't lose the weight too fast or my milk supply will decrease. I would like to BF for the first year of my DS' life.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lose weight quickly, but safely? Can I add an extra workout each day?

Default Re: Need to lose weight!!!

i would recommend making sure your diet is high quality... good foods, adequate calories, high fiber, whole grains. stay away from anything processed, salty. if you make sure you eat when you are hungry but eat healthy and exercise appropriately then i think you will be fine. the combo of good food and excersize is amazing, the hard part is being consistent. you can do it.

i alternate running with light strength training and make sure i have rest days. in the beginning i was working out every 3 days and then taking a rest day. just make sure you arent pushing yourself too hard.

Thanks! The Army had a postpartum fitness program that is mandatory. We work out 4 times a week. 2 run days and 2 muscle endurance/strength. My career depends on this. I can get kicked out. That would be 7 years down the drain.

You might see about seeing a nutritionist to optimize your weight loss while maintaining your supply.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

We also have several service women on these boards who may be able to tell you what they did...Beth?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

good news!! Losing weight will not affect your milk supply, losing weight will not affect the quality of your milk. as long as you are transferring milk out of your breasts 8-12 times /every 24 hours your supply will not suffer. you are not attempting to starve yourself thin, you are eating smart, drinking fluids and working out.
    thanks for defending our country! my dd2 is in the navy so I really love you all.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Sounds like you're on the right track following the army plan. Plus, keep BF'ing that will help. Also, cut out any pop or juice if you can, go to water! Get rid of any sweets and think healthy, baked, low cal high nutrition. It's hard, but it's also to some extent a matter of more going out than in!

You can try Weight Watchers for Nursing moms. Maybe? I need to lose weight too, I am not millitary but tired of looking the way I do

I agree with the pp's - cut out sweet and salty foods, stick to whole grains, lots of veggies, lots of water. This combined with working out will help you lose weight. You have nearly fifteen weeks to lose 25 pounds, so if you lose 1-2 pounds a week you will meet your goal. This is totally doable with a sensible diet and exercise program
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I second all the advice above... also avoid saturated fats (cheese, cream, butter etc). I know that everyone is different, but BFing itself will burn a lot of calories. I put on 32 lbs during pregnancy, and in the beginning I was losing them very slowly. But then after maybe two months, they really started to melt.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one