Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried

Question Worried

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a little concerned about my DD. She is 12 weeks old today and we have never had any real issues to speak of concerning BF. But, the last couple days her feedings have been really off. She'll eat for a couple minutes and then start screaming. This doesn't happen every feeding, but has happened quite a bit the last couple days. She is normally an every 2 hour eater, but has been going 3-4 hours today. I thought I would try to pump some milk for her (which has always been very hard for me, my milk just will not let down for a pump) I had 1 /2 oz EBM and she took that fine, and then I put her to my breast and she ate for another 10 minutes. 3 hours later I decided to try to feed her and once again after maybe 3 minutes she freaked out. I called her doctor because I was convinced she was constipated and that is why she wouldn't eat. She hadn't pooped in 2 days, which really is not abnormal for her at all. I have been using a vaginal cream for an infection, so I thought that was messing with her. She was super super grumpy today, which is not like her at all. My doctor suggested a suppository and right when I sent DH to get one she exploded. So, obviously not constipated. My question is, what could be going on with her? Are her feedings just spacing out now? Could it just be that she was uncomfortable because she had to go # 2? I am constantly worried that I don't have enough milk for her because I never get full not even today when she has barely eaten and she still eats every 2 hours (normally). I am so worried that her not eating as much is going to decrease my supply. Sorry, I'm rambling now. Any suggestions would help!
    Thanks!!

Default Re: Worried

hi mama!

she may be spacing out her feedings in addition to something else. maybe she's getting sick, teething. here is a link:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

Also, your breasts dont need to feel full try to trust your body mama. 3 months is great, keep up the good work. if ever you get nervous about supply just count her diapers, that will let you know if she is eating well. is she gaining well, reaching milestones, active etc? if the answers are yes, know you are doing well.

Welcome! It can be really hard to figure out what is bugging a baby. The only things that jump out at me from your post are the 3 days with no poop, and the vaginal infection you're experiencing. 2 days with no poop can sometimes make a baby kind of crabby, though once a baby is over 6 weeks old it is very normal for them to space their poops out to as little as one per week. You shouldn't suspect constipation in an exclusively breastfed baby unless she goes over a week without pooping, seems in severe discomfort when she poops, and is passing hard, dry, or pellet-like stool. The infection you have- I presume that it's a yeast infection? If so, vaginal yeast in mom often goes hand in hand with oral yeast (a.k.a. thrush) in the baby, and thrush can cause a lot of discomfort and lead to lowered desire to nurse. I suggest taking a look at some of the thrush resources posted here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html and seeing if any of your symptoms match up. If they do, a trip to the doctor is probably warranted.

If it's not yeast and it's not general crabbiness due to having to poop, then alternate possibilities would be an ear infection or teething, which can start as early as 3 months. As long as you are nursing on demand and your baby continues to have a normal number of wet diapers in a 24 hour period, I would not suspect low milk supply. After you have been nursing for a while, your supply adjusts to match your baby's demand very precisely, without a lot of extra milk left over to give you that "full" feeling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She does have lots of wet diapers everyday. It's definitely not thrush (my infection is not yeast) and there isn't any white in her mouth and it's not painful when I feed her. The more I think about it I think she was just really uncomfortable. Ever since she did go she has been happy as a clam. She ate really well about an hour ago, no fussing.
    I do worry about supply all the time. My sisters swear that her eating so often means she isn't getting enough. But, from what I have read every 2 hours is pretty normal, right? Thanks so much for the feedback, I feel much better!!

Also, she does sleep on average 7-8 hours a night () and her pediatrician did mention that she might eat more often throughout the day to make up for sleeping so long at night.
    Last edited by @llli*alyviasmomma; October 3rd, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

i'm happy to hear she is feeling better my son ate about every 45 min... which means constantly

they need to suck to build your supply, get nourishment, and a lot of it is for comfort. you are doing a great job.

Every 2 hours or even more often is totally normal, even when baby isn't sleeping through the night. Tell your sisters to stop smokin' crack.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just want to chime in an add some agreement. Every 2 hours is completely normal!
    I'm glad things are sounding a bit better for you!
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

I'm glad every 2 hours is normal! I have a friend who has serious oversupply issues, her baby is 5 weeks and she only eats every 3 hours. But, every baby is different! I need to stop listening to everyone and just trust that my body and my baby knows best. IF she wants to eat every 2 hours then so be it, I'll feed her every 2 hours. BTW, she is totally back to normal today. Eating normal, not fussing like yesterday.