Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerned about feeding length

Default Concerned about feeding length

Hi everyone. I'm a FTM to a 14-week-old, EBF boy (who refuses the bottle). I enjoy BF, but I've never been comfortable with the fact that I dont know how much he's getting.

Is it normal for a baby this age to nurse for less than 15 minutes on one side only? Sometimes it's as little as 5 minutes. He eats every 2-3 hours, but he's STTN (yay!), so he eats just 7 times a day, and usually once a day he'll nurse for up to 20 minutes (or more), but for the most part it's less than 15 minutes, and he fights me when I try to give him the other side. He also latches and unlatches a lot, and sometimes gets angry when I try to get him to latch on. What's really confusing is he gives lots of feeding cues, but gets so angry when I try to feed him.

He has so many wet diapers, I stopped counting a long time ago. At least 2 between each feeding. And he's well into his 6-month clothes now, so I know he's growing.

What really concerns me is a small amount of thrush he has on the very back of his tongue. I was told not to worry about it unless it got all over his mouth (gums and cheeks, etc.), but I'm worried it might be causing him pain and causing him to not want to nurse.

I dont know if he doesnt like what I'm eating, or if he's gassy, or if it's the thrush, or what. Or is it normal to be eating for such a short period of time and I'm just a worried mama who's making something out of nothing? TIA!

Default Re: Concerned about feeding length

My son got super efficient at around three to four months and would nurse as little as three minutes on one side for a complete feeding. He's over ten months now and fat as can be, so it obviously wasn't a problem for us. Mr. X never slept through the night though, so he got a few more feedings in over your little guy. However, if diaper output and weight gain are good, then your son is clearly getting what he needs.

I don't know about the thrush, though; hopefully someone else can tell you more about that.

Yes, it's perfectly normal for him to eat that quickly. Some babies get extremely quick around that age and can eat very quickly. I say it's when my daughter would "take that boobie down!" As long as he's having sufficient wets, I wouldn't worry about it. I know it's hard not to wonder if he's getting enough, but if your baby was hungry - you would KNOW about it. I'm a firm believer in that. So, relax and enjoy the ride...

As for the thrush, is it causing you pain? You could try to give him some probiotics and see if that helps. There are infant strains out there. You also can add some probiotics to supplement yourself. Here's some info on thrush.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thank you both for the reassurance. I have another "is it normal" question that is related. Often when he does his short feeds, I will hold him up to burp him and he will start rooting against my neck or face, but when I put him back to the breast he fights and screams. This is what is confusing me! Is that normal?

About the thrush, it doesnt seem to cause me pain usually, no. Sometimes my nipples will burn a little after a long feed, but not every day. I dont have any other symptoms.

About the rooting after eating but not wanting to latch...my 4 month old snuggles into my neck when he's ready to go to sleep. He is also a one-sided-5 minutes or less eater. If I try to give him the other side, sometimes he'll fuss or bite (ouch! 2 teeth = pain for me). We've developed quite the routine for sleeping, so he knows when I walk into his darkened room, it's about time. He'll start snorting and snuffing around my neck!

Maybe that's the same issue? Where is he in his sleeping/eating/wakeful pattern when he does the rooting? Maybe he's just sleepy?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I am not sure. I guess if he's rooting and then doesn't want to latch - I wouldn't really worry about it. If he fusses I always found the methods taught in the Happiest Baby on the Block to be helpful.

Oh, and re: thrush - I'd start with some probiotics. You also can try taking some Grapefruit Seed Extract. Here's some info on that. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Yeah, he could be sleepy. I guess I'm just worrying too much! I actually just bought Happiest Baby on the Block and the No-Cry Sleep Solution. I've started the sleep book, but it's hard to find time to read, grrr.

We dont have insurance, so any over-the-counter treatments for thrush would be helpful to try. Thank you for the links!

And thank you again for the reassurance! You've given me some peace of mind this morning