Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating very little during day...advice?

Default Eating very little during day...advice?

First time poster – these forums have been a wonderful resource for me as I navigate the world of BFing. Thank you.

The stats...

My son is 3 months old and has been exclusively BF since birth. He is at 7 feeds a day (more if he wants) - I always feed on demand per his cues (generally, 3AM, 7AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM, 7PM, 10PM). His weight gain is appropriate; he is napping really well and is peeing/pooping normally. I drink a ton of water and Mother's Milk tea.

In the past 2 weeks, he will go from his ~7AM feed to his ~4PM feed with two 15-minute feeds between. During those feeds, he grunts, moans, and un-latches. When I re-latch him, he is so anxious that he jumps on. But within a minute, he screeches and pulls off. Eventually, he refuses to latch and we stop. Even if I wait another 20 minutes and try again, he lasts for a few minutes and starts the same antics again.

I don’t believe that I have OALD. I do believe that he has been spoiled by the occasional bottle of pumped BM (given during recent family gatherings and weddings). I read on KellyMom that it could be a sign of frustration with slow flow (my milk production is fine).

I am super concerned at his food intake. It bothers me that he eats SO little between his 7AM and 4PM feeds. His day time feeds are never "happy". We are both miserable. He is NOT a comfort nurser; otherwise, I would keep him attached to me all day. Unless eating, he is not a fan of being on the boob.

An interesting note, when we took him out of town last week, he nursed beautifully. However, he received 1-2 bottles of pumped milk a day so that I could spend time with the family we were visiting. He was content and happy the whole time and slept/napped well. When I nursed him, he nursed happily for 20-30 minutes. It's as if those 1-2 bottles made all the difference. It's as if he wasn't ravenous and was content to nurse.

I hate that he eats only 30-40 minutes between his 7AM to 4PM feeds (even though the other feeds are strong). He is clearly hungry during the day, but refuses to stay latched to eat. I am at a loss and hate to see him so hungry in the evening/night. I am a SAHM and have all the time to work on this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Eating very little during day...advi

Is the issue that has you worried primarily the speed of your baby's nursing sessions, the frequency, or the behavior he exhibits while nursing? By 3 months, it's very normal for a baby to become a speedy nurser, getting a full feed in 10 minutes or less. The frequency you describe, while low, is in the normal range- though it wouldn't hurt to offer a couple more times a day and see if anything changes! The behavior- well, if you feel like it's due to the bottles the best thing to do is to put those bottles on the shelf because they are not helping you right now. I'd also suggest trying some different nursing positions, particularly reclined positions. Unlatching during feedings can be a sign of slow flow but can also indicate trouble with a fast flow, and sometimes the best thing you can do if the problem is fast flow is to use gravity to slow the milk down.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for responding. My concern is the frequency/duration of the day feeds, primarily because the change happened almost overnight. He went from happy/calm 20-30 minute feeds during the day to short/unhappy feeds within a span of 2-3 days, and it has been that way since. I like your point about the positions - he does feed well in the reclined position. I don't do it often because I only recently started doing it and still find it a little uncomfortable. However, I will keep trying. My one and only concern is making sure he receives enough food, and I will try anything - thanks!!

As long as his diaper output is okay then I would not worry.
    July 27 2011

Wear him. easy access. Maybe he is more distracted and wants to play. Try nursing him while he naps and sleeps. My little girl does most of her eating at night because the world is funner then mum's boobs.
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet