Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Much? How often?

Default How Much? How often?

I just started DS on cereal last week and am going to try some new things this week. What I am wondering is...How much should I be giving him at a feeding and how often should I give him the solids? DS is going to be 5 months this week and I was advised by his doctor to start the solids at 4months (but I waited until I felt he was ready).
    TIA!!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Default Re: How Much? How often?

At this age, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not necessary for nutritional purposes (unless your baby was premature or is anemic, in which case some iron-rich solids or, preferably, a dropper of baby vitamins might be advisable), and should not replace breastmilk as the baby's primary nutrition.

At five months, I would offer solids 1x per day. A teaspoon or two of solid food is more than enough- again, at this age solids are just for fun- and allow your baby to experiment with conveying the food to his own mouth. I also suggest searching the forum for threads on "baby led solids" and "baby led weaning" for really good information on an alternative approach to spoon-feeding. Oh- and check out this link on signs of readiness for solids: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That's what I thought, but my pedi said that they also get nutrition from it (this was a whole different thread), but I feel that he is ready for them, but not only solids. I nurse him right before I give the cereal and right after. I have only been giving him about 2 tablespoons of cereal, but he seems to want more. I just pureed some avocado to try tonight, but wanted to make sure that I am not over feeding him. The reason that the dr wanted me to start solids so early was because he was 1lb off from doubling his birth weight at 4months. I didn't feel that he was ready for solids or lacking in any way (she mentioned that "maybe you aren't producing enough milk for him", which REALLY screwed with my head and made me go to try all the herbal stuff and other things to up my production, which I have come to the conclusion is FINE) on breast milk only, so I waited.
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

I only did like 1-2T of solids once a day and he rarely ate all of it. He is 7.5 months and we are doing a variation of baby led solids now and he's just starting to be interested. Have to remind yourself that it's really no bi deal if he seems disinterested from day to day. Keep offering as a experiment and let him lead the way.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*connors-mommy View Post
    That's what I thought, but my pedi said that they also get nutrition from it
    They do get nutrition from solids, but you don't want the nutrition from the solids to replace the nutrition from breastmilk. Breastmilk has fat, calcium, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals- it's hard to find a solid that is as nutritionally complete as mama's milk, or as nutritionally dense. In terms of caloric content, breastmilk is generally more calorie-dense than solids! So why replace breastmilk- the perfect food- with something that isn't as good?

The reason that the dr wanted me to start solids so early was because he was 1lb off from doubling his birth weight at 4months. I didn't feel that he was ready for solids or lacking in any way (she mentioned that "maybe you aren't producing enough milk for him", which REALLY screwed with my head and made me go to try all the herbal stuff and other things to up my production, which I have come to the conclusion is FINE) on breast milk only, so I waited.
    Sorry you had that experience, mama. I think your doc's recommendation is pretty silly- first of all, there's nothing wrong with a baby not doubling his/her birth weight by a specific date as long as he/she is otherwise healthy, and if you want to gain weight, what would you eat: a milkshake, or some rice cereal?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"