Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finding a Pedi

Default Finding a Pedi

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'm assuming that you all have had some experience with a pedi., so hopefully you can help me.

First, let me begin by saying I'm in the process of weaning my 16-month-old, his choice. We've had a good long run, but now all he asks for is the early morning session.

We chose our pediatrician, interviewed him before DS was born, and liked him. As a first-time mom, I didn't really know what to look for in a pediatrician. Also, as a first-time mom, I had no idea successful breastfeeding requires some support and guidance.

My DS nursed like a champ in the hospital right after he was born, latched on and did great. When we got home, things went awry. He started only nursing for about 5 minutes every hour, pulling off and crying each time. His poop also turned green. I contacted the lactation consultant at the hospital who told me he probably had a dairy allergy. I posted on this forum, and you ladies suggested an oversupply (which google-searches supported). My pediatrician told me this was normal, and I needed to unlatch DS every 3 minutes to burp him, and I was to give Mylicon drops to help with the gas. A nurse at the practice suggested I meet with a lactation consultant to check his latch. I did so, and the LC agreed with you ladies that it was an oversupply. My pedi. was obviously way wrong, and if I would have listened to him, I think we would have been done breastfeeding by 2 months. I treated the oversupply and everything ended up fine.

Okay, next instance was he wanted us to start on solids at 4 mos. Fine...DS was ready, so we gave him baby cereal. Oh, and solids were to come before breastmilk, advice I did not follow. At 6 mos, he already wanted DS on 3 solid meals a day. Really?!?!?!? My DS ended up not eating 3 meals a day until almost 10 months, and I was "reprimanded" at our 9 months well visit because of my DS's solid-eating habits. Ummmm...he was still nursing on demand, 6-8 times a day.

So, to make a long story short, before my 2nd LO arrives (I'm not currently pregnant, but plan on TTC soon), I need to find a pedi. who knows something about bfing and supports extended nursing. What questions did you ask to find a doc. like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm sorry my post is so long.

Default Re: Finding a Pedi

You know you might ask the LC who helped she might have know some docs that are pro breastfeeding. I know I asked a nurse and the told me this ped was the best and she is great.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

with the PP. Local lactation consultants and LLL groups would be a great place to start looking for a supportive pediatrician. That being said, I don't know if I would look for "supportive of breastfeeding" as my top priority in a pediatrician. Honestly, I'm more concerned that my pediatrician be a good diagnostician, accept my insurance, and have admitting privileges at a good hospital than that he/she be a breastfeeding expert. If I want reliable information on breastfeeding, parenting, or solids, I come here or rely on my gut, and if my pediatrician gives me conflicting advice I tend to either ignore it or do my own research before accepting her advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would also suggest asking other mothers. Like at an lll meeting. It is kins of hard to really know what your pediatrician will be like based on their answer to a question, other mothers with similar views to your can give you a better review of how the pedi reacted in certain situations. I am more like mommal and though my sons ped is not specifically supportive/encouraging of things like extended breastfeeding, alternative vax schedules, no cry sleep methods, etc, he is pro choice. As in he gives his suggestions, but dosn't give me a hard time when I say, oh well actually I am doing xyz instead.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PP. Local lactation consultants and LLL groups would be a great place to start looking for a supportive pediatrician.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    ...I don't know if I would look for "supportive of breastfeeding" as my top priority in a pediatrician. Honestly, I'm more concerned that my pediatrician be a good diagnostician [etc]....
    I may only partially agree with this. While "supportive of breastfeeding" may not be a top priority, I might need a pediatrician who is more knowledgeable about breastfeeding than this one seems to be, depending on the details. That "reprimand" for the eating schedule sends up red flags for me. OP, would you be able to avoid this scenario next time around by answering the dr's questions a little more creatively?

For example, my pediatrics office is adamant that bedsharing is a Very Bad Thing, and every visit under age 1, I got asked where LO slept. Every time they asked this, I told them truthfully, "She has a co-sleeper and a crib." Once I said that they never seemed to have the imagination to ask me whether LO always slept there, and after the first month or so she certainly didn't! Conflict avoided without actually lying.

If you can be creative like this with your pediatrician, it might be worth considering staying. But if they're being too pushy about trying to force outdated information on you, definitely look around! Of course don't sacrifice the other things needed in a good pediatrician--but a pedi who doesn't understand normal baby feeding habits is at risk of making some wrong calls, IMO.
    Last edited by @llli*mama.jen; October 3rd, 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity. Because I'm conpulsive sometimes.
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Thank you for the responses! I will contact my lactation consultant to see what she says, and I do have a few mommies I intended to ask. While I certainly agree that being supportive of breastfeeding is not my top priority, I feel that our current pedi. is really, well, clueless about it. I always say he'd be a great doc. if DS was formula-fed. This board and my LC have been far more helpful in those areas than our doc. has been, and for that, I am truly, truly thankful to all the mamas on here who've helped us along the way. I seriously wouldn't have made it past five weeks (let alone to 16 months!) without the help of this board. I guess they're right when they say it takes a village to raise a child.