Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling Asleep on Mom?

Default Falling Asleep on Mom?

Howdy -

I was wondering if a hungry baby (5 weeks old) would still fall asleep on his mom and stay asleep? Our son often will nurse for a few minutes from my wife, then he'll fall asleep and slip off the nipple. As long as he's in her arms, or near her, he'll stay asleep. But often if you leave him alone on his back for a few minutes, he'll wake back up. Is he just comfortable near his mom, but still hungry? Or does he just want to benear his mom, and he's not hungry anymore?

We've been taking our son into our bed at night because it's easier for everyone. He'll wake up in the middle of the night also, cry out, nurse for a few minutes, then fall asleep next to my wife. I'm just wondering if he's getting enough and he's satisfied, or if he just likes lying near his mommy?

He has been peeing, and he did have a nice sized, nicely colored poop this morning, but I'm concerned that he's pooping less than he used to? Or maybe it's my imagination.

Thanks

Default Re: Falling Asleep on Mom?

My DS loves to nurse himself to sleep. Even when he is not hungry he will nurse for a few minutes just to fall asleep. He likes to know someone is near and I suppose he feels safer in my arms. He will only let me put him down if he is in a really deep sleep. If he isn't in a deep sleep then his eyes are wide open within seconds. Some babies just like the feeling of being held. They get used to the sounds/smells of mom and feel more comfortable with her.

When I leave him with MIL while I am at work he apparently will sleep by himself with no problem. He only has the issue of wanting to be held and nursed to sleep when mommy's around

As long as your DS is having good diaper output I wouldn't worry so much. DS was pooping less too at that age and his pediatrician said they can go from having 2-3 poops a day to once every 8 days for BF babies. It's such a wide margin but apparently it is completely normal
    July 27 2011

Hi, when my LO was tiny she did the same thing. Usually if she really was hungry still she would wake up again in another hour or so. As long as your baby has free access to mom at all times and has good diaper output like the pp said, I wouldn't worry. If he's hungry he can always help himself right? I think getting enough/satisfied + lying near mommy=happy, sleepy baby. If he's doing this during the day too, maybe she might enjoy a baby carrier like a Moby or a ring sling so he can sleep near mommy and she can move around.
    Enjoy the sleep!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I guess I'm just concerned that he's falling asleep because the milk isn't flowing fast enough, then he's staying asleep coz mom is holding him. As soon as he's put down in the bassinet, he cries...

Nope, totally normal behavior and i dare say i would bet if you took a poll of those of us who cosleep, about 85% of our babies follow this exact same pattern. During the night baby nurses when he needs to, sometimes "dreamfeeding" aka nursing while asleep. If you guys are comfortable doing this (i did/do with both boys) then its a great way to get more sleep for mom and maximize the mother baby bond. He doesnt cry when you put him down elsewhere because of some issue, he wants to be near his mother, its human nature

There are some great links about cosleeping, let me see what i can dig up, also as baby gets older his poops will become less frequent, sometimes going a few days with no poop. As long as he isnt in pain and when he does poop its still a creamy consistency, he is normal/fine.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/safe-cosleeping.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sle...leeping-habits
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; October 2nd, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Sounds like my son If you are concerned about him getting enough food, I would pay attention to the wet diapers. My son is six weeks and he loves to sleep on me. I bought a bjorn and I wear him around the house and he sleeps happily. When he is hungry he will cry and cry till I feed him. If he is not hungry he will wimper a bit, nurse a little and then fall directly asleep. His poo habits have also changed. He only pooed once yesterday and not yet today. But he still has lots of wet diapers so I'm not worried I bet your little one just loves being close to his mommy right now
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Totally normal. His mother is the only thing he really KNOWS. He's been with her 24/7 for 9 months. At this point even if she held and fed him for 12hours a day that'd still be a 50% reduction in what he is used to. You are right to watch diaper output. And if it's 6 or more times in a 24hour period her is getting enough to eat. It is also normal for them to start pooping less between 4&6 weeks as those sphincter muscles get tighter. They stop pooping literally every time they eat to once a day or LONGER. In a breastfed baby sometimes they don't even go every day. Because there is so little waste being produced. They literally absorb and use almost everything they eat. When they stop going poop every day the color and consistency often changes from the bright yellow seedy stuff to the color and consistency of peanut butter. This is also no cause for alarm. Yay for co-sleeping! Just continue to watch diaper output and trust the process. Your Wife and Son were made to do this.

Way too lazy for formula

hey! us too :-) loving DD sleeping on me, but she's just started to lie next to me for about half of the night- at 11wks... it's nice to be able to lie flat, but i'm missing it too! she spent all day in the sling until 11wks when we made a lovely springy hammock for her afternoon nap so she gets walked down in the sling the put in the hammock for a few minutes for me to rest. currently the hammock is swinging from a tree in the garden - it's lovely.
    someone described the need for an infant's close proximity to its mother to be a guard against predation. makes perfect sense!

Ds1would not sleep at all unless he was on top of someone. My dh would take turns with me, letting him lay on him so i could rest better.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Sigh. Hi again.

I feel like I keep posting the same stuff, but I guess I'm just posting to get some reassurance. Our DS is still nursing round the clock; literally. My wife can't put him down for a second - if she does, he screams, then nurses for a few minutes, then falls asleep on her. She's unable to do anything during the day because she nurses him non-stop from about 10AM - 1AM. Luckily he does give us about 2-3 hour stretches at night, if he's asleep next to us in our bed.

I just don't know what to do. My wife's suffering. I know BFing's not easy, and supposedly it gets better? But our DS is 5 weeks old and this is showing no sign of letting up. Yesterday he gave us 3-4 dirty diapers (mostly liquidy, not so much creamy or yogurty) and about 6 wet diapers. The diaper count seems good, but I think it's a product of the nonstop feeding.

Is this normal? (yes, a thousand times yes - I know, but I guess I need to hear it again and again... being a guy means I'm thick like that ) Will it get better? Is there a point at which we should start being concerned if it doesn't get better? Just as a reference, here were his weight gains. Note that we did supplement on and off with some formula, but really not with very much, and never really consistently. So I'd say our DS was 90-95% BF:

8/30/2011 2765
    9/2/2011 2560
    9/6/2011 2650
    9/13/2011 2940
    9/20/2011 3100
    9/25/2011 3210

Note: all weights in grams. In ounces, I'd say he was born 6lbs 1.3oz, and at last weighing on 9/25 he was 7lbs 1oz. Does that gain look normal? He's to be weighed again this Thursday as he's also getting his second dose of the Hep B vaccine. But I'm worried that his gain has started to gradually slow and that also his eating habits have begun taking their toll on my wife, to the point where she can't even shower (of course if I hold him she can, but he will SCREAM).

Ahh, sorry for the long rambling post, but I feel like we're at the end of our ropes and we just don't know what to do!