Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *sigh* Tooth Decay

Default *sigh* Tooth Decay

I am pretty sure that Levi has some decay in 2 of his 4 front teeth. They look discolored. He had some very, very early signs of decay on his teeth at his first dental appointment right after he turned a year, and we responded by making sure we brushed a lot better. I talked to the dentist about night nursing and she seemed unconcerned.

I have been reading, and I know this has been brought up on this forum before. It does seem as though night nursing shouldn't cause tooth decay. We eat well, the kids drink water, maybe only a few ounces of juice with breakfast and Lance's teeth have always been perfect, and they get their teeth brushed 2 or 3 times a day.

It's just upsetting because I feel like we've done something wrong. I have very few cavities myself and I don't want to do him wrong.

We are looking for a dentist here since we just moved. In the meantime, what can we do?
    Last edited by @llli*samiha; October 1st, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: *sigh* Tooth Decay

Discolouration isn't necessarily decay. Does he eat or drink anything that could be staining his teeth? Does he take the gummi-type kids vitamins? Our dentist has been telling me since i was pregnant with DD to avoid those like the plague as they tend to stick in the hard to clean areas and encourage decay. The dentist has also lectured me for taking chewable vit-C or drinking lemon in water as those tend to soften the tooth enamel. Also, i've been told not to brush more than twice per day as excessive brushing can be too wearing on the enamel. I've also been told not to use baking soda toothpaste as its quite wearing too.

Gotta love the dentists giving advice . Hope this helps?
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

The only thing I could think of that would discolor his teeth is his floradix supplement, but I don't think that's what it is.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

They have fluoride gel that sits on their teeth after they brush. When DJ uses that he doesn't get more cavities. When he does use that he does. You get it at the dentist.

Way too lazy for formula

Sometimes it's just the short stick of the genetics lottery. Get him into the dentist and see what's what. much to my disappointment we've gone the fluoride route as well. This was after DD had caps put on all four of her top front teeth for "bottle rot".

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Jeremija had early discoloration on his front teeth and we were told it was a birth defect where he was born with too little enamel - nothing to do with nursing at all. Getting them fixed was a big, expensive ordeal though. Alek does not have the same issue, it's just all about the individual genes.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Does he night nurse? Are you using kids toothpaste with fluoride? Colby had same thing and it was bad bad for a while. I asked my pedi about it and he said to switch to kids toothpaste even though he does not spit it out and to brush well 2 times a day. Also, nothing after they brush at night. If Levi is nursing at night I would wipe his teeth off after in the least.

After about 3 months of switching over to kids toothpaste and being consistent with the brushing and nothing after Colby's discoloration has disappeared.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I still nurse him to sleep, but we have been nightweaning because I am leaving for 6 weeks in Nov/Dec. So, pretty soon he won't be nursing to sleep either. We just started using floride toothpaste, because Lance's dentist had us start with it about at about 2 years. We need to get them into the dentist soon, the first place we called was recommend by a friend but they aren't taking new patients until Dec. I have been looking for a dentist on Angie's list.

This might sound strange, but I was thinking about looking for an Indian dentist because I feel like they won't be quick to blame nursing.
    Beth

You are on the right track. I think Colby's discoloration took about 2 months to disappear with the flouride toothpaste and being anal about him not eating or drinking after he brushes at night, even if it means going to do it again. I would not be super concerned yet about Levi's teeth, they will be OK. It is very rare for it to happen with BM though, right? Who cares what caused it anyways, it is just a matter of getting him back on track.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

It's probably not the breastfeeding; here's a great article on that: http://www.llli.org/nb/nbsepoct02p164.html . Type "dental caries" (without the quotes) into the search box to find a whole lot more.

And BTW, my LO has been sporting a brown spot on one front tooth for months now, because she slipped and slammed her mouth on the coffee table when she was learning to walk. So have you ruled out something mechanical like that?
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months