Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do i know?

Default how do i know?

hi everyone my son is 8 months old and eats solids for lunch and dinner. i was wondering if it looks like hes trying to wean because he doesn't have very much interest in the breast except naptime and dinner and in the middle of the night. but he will go for over eight hours without. i also don't know how often hes supposed to be feeding off me once the solids started. i'm very confused about how much milk he should be consuming and when i might be in danger of lossing my milk supply for him. i planned on nursing him till hes 2yrs old and still have a way to go. HELP!!!

Default Re: how do i know?

hi mama, sounds like you're doing good so far i'm curious, you say he doesn't have much interest. you might try offering the breast more, or offering before giving solids? you may also scale back solids a bit if you want to since he's still pretty young before the year mark. He should be nursing as often as he wants to/will accept before the 1 yr mark. From what I've heard many babies will scale back nursing around this time and then pick up again closer to the 1 year mark. Also what do you think might be contributing to his lack of interest..is he distracted? too full of energy to nurse for a minute? not hungry? my own LO was always very distractable, so I would always take her in a dark room to nurse, with calming music, wore nursing necklaces, etc.

Hopefully some more experienced mamas will chime in soon.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

he does get distracted very easily so i have been bringing him into a dark room and laying in bed with him. he will latch and then pop off arch his head as if to look around and then pop back on. then he just keeps doing it other times he will just drink drink drink. he always has a ton of energy the kid can not sit still even when hes asleep hes moving around like crazy. i offer him the breast about every three hours. he will eat a lot to usually after eating solids. i home make all of his solids so i really don't know how to tell you how much he gets. he is teething bad too. hes been drooling up a storm for the last week or so so i thinks hes gonna be getting number 5 and 6 soon.

Up until a year, it's a good idea to nurse first and then offer solids, so that he nurses for whatever is a "regular" amount of time for him, and then tops up on solids. There are more fats and nutrients in breastmilk (per ounce) than there are in solid food so it's important that he not fill up on solids and only leave a little room for nursing afterward, ya know?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

great advice from jenn

for the distraction--have you tried singing, humming, whistling, earrings, necklaces, holding his hand or foot with your other hand and moving it around to distract towards you, all while nursing? I realize as reading this that I've tried it all! and some has worked better on some days, and on others not at all. I also looked for naturally sleepiness cues and offered when she had a lull in her antics as opposed to when she was going full steam! good luck with everything
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    Up until a year, it's a good idea to nurse first and then offer solids, so that he nurses for whatever is a "regular" amount of time for him, and then tops up on solids. There are more fats and nutrients in breastmilk (per ounce) than there are in solid food so it's important that he not fill up on solids and only leave a little room for nursing afterward, ya know?
    'zactly! good call, good call.

also, remember, the "natural weaning" age for babes who are allowed to nurse as long as they want to is between 3-4 yrs, on average... so it's highly unlikely that baby would be wanting to wean THIS early!
    the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

i do do somethings to distract him and tonight was my first time nursing him first then solids then some more milk before bed. he seemed to do great with it so i'll keep doing it. i will try to distract him more when trying to feed him but if i try to wait for him to have a lull he'll damn near starve to death. the kid has energy. lots of it to. i'm so happy to here that most babys don't naturally wean till later on. how many times a day sounds normal for feedings at his age? i just find it weird that i'll feed him at 6:30am and he doesn't really seem hungry until about 11:00 or noon. should i pump to keep my flow going real well or does my body adjust to the time changes and realizes that its feeding every 4 to 4 1/2 hrs?

All babies are different. At this age you want to be aiming for 6-10 nursing sessions in a 24 hour period. 4 hours doesn't sound unreasonable at this age, but I wonder if it is always 4 hours or if he nurses more frequently in the evening (cluster feeding)? You mentioned that you are offering the breast every three hours - are you nursing on demand or scheduling your nursing sessions?

Pumping is really up to you. At this point you aren't risking your supply by going 4 hours or so, but if you're uncomfortable you can pump or hand express until it feels comfortable. You could also offer the breast when you feel uncomfortable. Another option is to pump to create a freezer stash, however it's hard to know when to pump - if you pump at the 3 hour mark and 20 minutes later he wants to nurse he might not be impressed that the flow is slower

Also, I thought I would pass along this info because it really reassured me during the first year: Breastmilk provides all of the nutrients your baby will need for the first year. Before a year solids are more for practice so that baby can figure out chewing, different textures, tastes, etc., so that after a year (when solids become more important) your baby has a variety of healthy foods that he will eat
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

this is his schedule or his routine. he will wake up and nurse at 6-630am then i will offer him the breast around 9:30 maybe a little earlier most times he will drink before the letdown and let go and want to do other things before it even starts to tingle. then i will try again around 11am then around 11:30 he eats his solids and then drinks till he falls asleep. he will wake up around 2-2:30 sometimes later. then i will offer it again around the time of him waking up or maybe within a half hour of that. then i will nurse him at around 4:30-5 usually with no problem. then he eats his solids again then he nurses more till hes asleepwhich is around 7. then sometimes but not all the time he will wake up between 12am-2am to nurse. so how does that all sound??? hopefully normal!