Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small cut on areola will not heal! Help!

Default Re: Small cut on areola will not heal! H

JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

As far as latch, I think the only thing to do at that age is concentrate on nursing in positions that encourage the best latch on the part of your child. So if side lying tends to involve scraping, but nursing on the couch does not, you try to nurse on the couch for a while. That sort of retrains your baby to latch better, by refusing to nurse with a bad latch. You can also model an open mouth for your child.

Often crappy latch at this age is aggravated by teething. Joe gets a kind of "grinding" latch when he's teething, that is SERIOUSLY unpleasant, but usually temporary, thank goodness!

Have you tried some polysporin on the cut? It's safe for nursing (you don't have to wipe it off) and may help that cut finally heal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am with you there. I've noticed that sometimes one of those Montgomery glands gets (stuck?) wedged between the teeth possibly. If I catch it right away and have LO relatch it seems to help sometimes.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!