Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small cut on areola will not heal! Help!

Exclamation Small cut on areola will not heal! Help!

My 14mo dd is still nursing on demand quite frequently and a couple times in the night. So this is a major problem! I've been dealing with this for over a month now. I spoke to two LLL ladies over the phone. I described my issue...a small cut..on my left areola near the nipple. I thought maybe it was her teeth rubbing, perhaps her latch was getting lazy. But whatever caused the tiny cut is a mystery still. I. Discussed with the LLL ladies perhaps hand expressing on that side to avoid mastitis just for a few days, and allow the cut some healing time. Because, either the continuing To nurse on that side, or perhaps her teeth still rub has never really allowed it to heal properly. It was doing rather well for a week or so finally hurting less and looking like it was better. But today and yesterday it is open again, not bleeding, and causing me pain when I nurse her on that side! I need solutions. If this worsens I will have to see a doctor and I know he will want me to wean on that side and no doubt will encourage total weaning because she is 14 mos. I want to let her self wean, so I have to heal now! TIA for all your help!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Default Re: Small cut on areola will not heal! H

Ouch that sounds painful! I don't really know anything about what to do in that situation, but I remembered this link and thought it might be helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

Regarding the doctor, it may come to that point where you have to go (if it gets infected), but even if he encourages you to wean all he wants, that doesn't mean you are going to do it, or even have to do it.

I hope someone else has some more info for you!!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Could it be thrush? Or bacterial?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ohh I had one of those. It too forever to go away. I was so worried I was going to get mastitis. I never did. I cut back on nursing on that side but my son prefers it so much I never stopped completely(very painful). I remember it taking weeks to heal.
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

I love the advice in the KellyMom link. And, as with PPs, my skin seems to heal more slowly than I expect it to these days. I sometimes wonder about my Vitamin E and Vitamin A intake when that happens, and try to get more of both. (I often squeeze a Vitamin E capsule directly onto the skin.)

ETA: You might want to forget I said that last. See posts below.
    Last edited by @llli*mama.jen; October 3rd, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.jen View Post
    I love the advice in the KellyMom link. And, as with PPs, my skin seems to heal more slowly than I expect it to these days. I sometimes wonder about my Vitamin E and Vitamin A intake when that happens, and try to get more of both. (I often squeeze a Vitamin E capsule directly onto the skin.)
    I may be wrong, but thought those vitamins (fat-soluble,A&E) could be concentrated in the blood, so taking too much while bfing may be harmful to baby, and also should avoid vit E directly on the nipple area for the same reason? but again, I might be wrong, anyone have more info?

I saw some more info about those vitamins here: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...-vitamins.html
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I had the same problem a couple months ago. I ended up pumping several times a day on that side instead of letting LO nurse, it hurt way too bad to have him latch on. I also put lanolin on it several times a day. I am pretty sure mine started with teeth and then a poor latch rubbed the spot raw - the wound was about the size of a pencil eraser on the top side of my nipple. Good Luck Momma!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    I may be wrong, but thought those vitamins (fat-soluble,A&E) could be concentrated in the blood, so taking too much while bfing may be harmful to baby, and also should avoid vit E directly on the nipple area for the same reason?
    Aww, heck. Thanks for catching me on that!

I question their info on the possibility of overdose amounts of a vitamin in breastmilk. Whether they're right on that one, though, you're absolutely correct that too much Vitamin E in the nipple area could pose a problem if kiddo continues to nurse there.

Very sorry I zoned on that one; updating previous post!
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Thanks ladies...still dealing with it. It seems closed right now. But, now the other side kind of hurts now. No wound on that side...just a bit of pain while she is nursing. What are the signs of thrush?? I better check that out.. The left side that had/has the wound still smarts while she is nursing...and if I have to unlatch her in the night while she is asleep I have to take deep breaths...
    It's crazy...she's my 3rd baby and way past a year and this is the very first time I've dealt with anything like this!
    I can describe the pain during nursing like a sting or small pain each time she sucks... If it is her latch HOW can I fix that...she won't understand.... I am baffled..
    JEN

How do I know if it is a latch issue? Especially at her age 14+ months old, if it is indeed latch...how do I correct it? Today both my nipples hurt...and hurt the entire time she nurses...I'm willing to try anything!
    JEN