Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unsatisfied baby. depressed muma.

Unhappy unsatisfied baby. depressed muma.

DD is 12 weeks today. 100% tongue-tie picked up day 3, operated day 4. shoulder dystocia - severe bruising, sorted with 3 weeks intensive chiropractic. reflux quite severe up to 10 weeks treated with gaviscon, and constant upright. 20% loss of body wt in first week, regained birth wt by 3.5 weeks old. gaining well since. exclusively breast fed throughout.
    thank you for reading! that's our history. Now, the last 4 days DD has been crying and beating me in frustration, seems like breasts are taking a v long time to let down, they also feel empty. after feeding she cries, and has to be entertained constantly to get her to forget about the boob and her apparent hunger. Almost flat refusal to feed from the right, and will only feed from right if sneakily switched from left side mid let-down, and held as if feeding from the left.
    it has been hot here, and yesterday i felt pretty run-down. but on the whole i have been resting and devoting myself to breast feeding in every way. i have been careful to keep drinking enough, and have just bought some fenugreek seeds so have had 2 cups of tea with the seeds. i don't take caffine at all - ever.
    I read another post about a single-stream - and that is how my breasts are - I didn't realise that there was supposed to be more than one stream! also it's never a stream - more of a drip drip, but the left side does usually let down quickly as I see DD gulping to keep up.
    I refuse to consider ff!
    Please help, DD currently screaming in frustration and beating me...
    Oh, and we're in bed - skin to skin!

Default Re: unsatisfied baby. depressed muma.

Sounds like a stressful beginning, Your'e doing great so far!!

about your question, How many wet/poopy diapers does she have? that would be a good indicator of whether or not she's getting enough. for me it kind of seems like a growth spurt, like is she wanting to feed constantly, all day long if you let her? how often is she eating?

about your right boob, most babies have a preference. mine prefers my right. your left sounds ok as you mention gulping. its ok to keep sneaking the right in.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

thanks Christine, she's feeding a lot, but I thought that was because she was coming off so soon. Her nappy hasn't been so wet today, but has been up till today. 4 changes, 2 quite wet, and a poo, so probably ok on that front. I gave her a few mls of boiled water this afternoon because I was so concerned. She is quite spitty so I think she's probably not dehydrated.
    It seems so hard sometimes! So much to worry about.
    Thanks for replying
    Will be looking up your oak rose charm??!!

you're welcome! i know it can be rough and worrisome in the beginning. I found some good online resources for you to check if she's getting enough, and about frequent/fussy nursing. Keep checking back here though other mamas might have some more advice for you too

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

thanks again christine :-)