Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightweaning Sucks

Default Nightweaning Sucks

I am not really looking for advice, just venting some frustration. I don't really want to nightwean, but we have to since I am leaving for a 6-week class in 5 weeks. We decided to nightwean by keeping Levi in bed with DH and then I have been sleeping in our guestroom. Right now we are just working on the time between 11pm and 4 or 5 am, and then after a week or two we will work on the whole night.

We thought it would help that DH is cosleeping with Levi, but when he wakes up and DH is in bed with him and I am not there he is MAD. DH tries to get him to sleep next to him and soothe him but he just sits up in his little bed that's next to our bed and cries and blubbers and then DH has to bring him out to the chair and rock him. He falls back asleep that way, but now DH is getting neck pain from sleeping in the recliner with him most of the night.

I think part of the problem is that he probably has 2 year molars coming in. I feel bad having to nightwean him with that going on, but I don't have a choice on the timing.

I usually wake up at 4 or 5 because Levi is crying and so I nurse him then. I am really freaking out about cutting out that nursing session, I don't think it will go well.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Nightweaning Sucks

This must be so hard, night-weaning him before either of you wants to.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Sorry beth. Will he drink your milk from a bottle and go back to sleep?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Sorry Beth Night Weaning is definetly one of the toughest parts of a breastfeeding relationship. On one hand it's heartbreaking because you know they're accustomed to that comfort, but on the other you know you need to do what's best to maintain sanity for everyone. The thought has entered my mind for A too but it just seems so monumental I keep putting it off.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Sorry beth. Will he drink your milk from a bottle and go back to sleep?
    He would never take a bottle. I am worried about tooth decay anyway since I think he might have some on his front teeth so I think we are just going to stick to water if we offer anything at night.

If I were staying around, I really don't think we would be doing this. Sometimes I used to get frustrated about his nightwaking, but I DID get pretty decent sleep. The last few nights have been rough.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I am dreading this myself. DS is a few days shy of 11 months, but I am 7.5 weeks pregnant. I have no intention of fully weaning him, but I need to start night weaning him. DH is going to take a week off of work and get up with him all night. It's going to kill me, I know....so huge hugs and good luck to you!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Emily how often does A nurse at night?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Emily how often does A nurse at night?
    Usually once when I come to bed, once maybe twice if I toss/turn and wake him up enough to want it and again at 4ish and when he wakes around 6. So around 3-4 times. It's not a burden, my main issue is frustration that I can't get comfortable if I wake up without having him nurse. We have a queen bed and there's just not enough room for the three of us. But rigt now the inconvenience doesn't outweigh the hell that is nightweaning. The screaming, the tears, the frustration and the no sleep for anyone. . I'll probably tackle that beast next spring, sooner if I go back to work.

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    I am dreading this myself. DS is a few days shy of 11 months, but I am 7.5 weeks pregnant. I have no intention of fully weaning him, but I need to start night weaning him. DH is going to take a week off of work and get up with him all night. It's going to kill me, I know....so huge hugs and good luck to you!
    I kept the night nursing for months after I stopped nursing during the day. DS was/is a terrible sleeper and nightweaning did not improve the situation. He still woke as often I just had nothing to soothe him back to sleep with

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeremijasmommy View Post
    Usually once when I come to bed, once maybe twice if I toss/turn and wake him up enough to want it and again at 4ish and when he wakes around 6. So around 3-4 times. It's not a burden, my main issue is frustration that I can't get comfortable if I wake up without having him nurse. We have a queen bed and there's just not enough room for the three of us. But rigt now the inconvenience doesn't outweigh the hell that is nightweaning. The screaming, the tears, the frustration and the no sleep for anyone. . I'll probably tackle that beast next spring, sooner if I go back to work.
    H was doing so much better she was down to once or twice a night, but in the past coupe of months she has gone back to almost newborn nursing (I think it is the two year molars). I really want to to be done with all night nursing. But I cannot imagine going through the hell for all of us.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.