Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4.5 mo. old needs help sleeping at night

Default 4.5 mo. old needs help sleeping at night

Looking for any advice out there.
    My 4.5 mo old was a phenomenal sleeper at 2 mos of age, giving me 8-10 uninterrupted hours straight through the night. He'd nurse, then go back for another 3-4 uninterrupted hours. It was glorious. Made this 3rd kid thing seem like a breeze. Then something happened. I don't know what, other than reflux, could be to blame. He was diagnosed around 6 weeks and started various medications to treat. We are now dosing Zantac (1.2 ml 2x/day) and Prevacid solutabs (15 mg 1x/day). He takes an Enfamil AR bottle in the morning and we've been trying to introduce cereal, but he's not into it yet. Nurses about every 3 hours during the day, sometimes 4 depending on timing of naps. Sleeping 7/8 PM-12:30 at best, then waking, sometimes every hour for rest of night. Takes good naps during day (1-1.5 hrs in morning and 2-3 hrs in afternoon). Head of crib is elevated for reflux. I still swaddle. It's a magic go-to-sleep potion for him. He's out in seconds once swaddled. I'm afraid to stop. With reflux his hands are always at his face/ears and he wakes himself up if not swaddled.

Any advice on how to get him to sleep more soundly through the night?
    They call me MammaRatzi
    Mom to Nolan (2.5.05) weaned at 12 mos.
    Evelyn (11.28.07) weaned at 14 mos.
    Henry (5.12.11) dealing with moderate to severe reflux and BFing with the exception of one Enfamil AR bottle a day to help symptoms

Default Re: 4.5 mo. old needs help sleeping at n

No idea, but if you figure it out let me know. At 13 months my son still nurses every 2-3 hours around the clock. Honestly, I think it's normal.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

My baby also 4.5 months old and he wakes every 2-3 hours at night. he does one good sleep for about 5 hours but its right after dinner hours. i have been told its normal and they will sleep though the night when they are ready. i hope thats soon lol i was told to look up 4 month old sleep regression http://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-...ep-regression/ it makes a lot of sense to me it describes exactly how my baby sleeps. hope it helps you good luck

it seems like babies are always changing their sleep patterens. DS will sometimes go 4-5 hours without nursing one night to wanting to nurse every hour the next night. I'm pretty sure it is normal.

How does he responds to baths? It stimulates and makes my LO wide awake but some mama's say it makes their LO's sleep really good.
    July 27 2011

Honestly you were lucky to get that much sleep early on. My 8 month old still nurses frequently throughout the night. But we co-sleep, so I still feel like I get plenty of sleep. The best thing I did was figure out side lying nursing....
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein