Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 months ,not so many solids

Default 10 months ,not so many solids

My son is 10 months old.huge baby.over 25 lbs at 8 months My question is: He likes solids but likes more to snack and doesn't have big meals.for example he enjoys eating a little bread,a slice of tomato and 2-3 teaspoons of whatever we eat,but won't eat a whole plate of cereal or pureed food.he doesn't like soups and mashed things,he prefers the real stuff.and he nurses a lot.he goes to sleep at about 20:30,and wakes up at 00:00,3:00,5:00,and gets up at around 6:00.also during the day he has at least 4 more nursing sessions.Lately he started eating less solids,he doesn't want cereal cream in the morning or anything else,just breastmilk.and at lunch he onlyeats some bread or little tomato and then wants to nurse and sleep.
    most days i get him to eat some fruits in the afternoon.I remember my first son who weaned himself at 17 months in his age he would also nurse a lot but he also liked to eat more solids too..my ped the last time we saw her told me to insist on solids bc he can't get all he needs from milk only .(and she is a very bf pro doctor)..
    what do you think?
    Vasilios was born 16th November 2008,
    Sergios was born 1st December 2010
    we and from day 1...

Default Re: 10 months ,not so many solids

Your doctor may be pro-breastfeeding, but my doc must be more so. My pediatrician would tell you that until a year breastmilk is sufficient to meet all your baby's nutritional needs, and solids are just for fun. Moreover, she would tell you that until your baby is a year old, breastmilk should make up the majority of your baby's diet, and to nurse before offering solids in order to ensure that the baby consumes the maximum amount of milk.

The eating pattern you describe is very normal for a baby or toddler. Most babies/toddlers prefer small snacks to big meals, and many prefer table foods to purees or cereals. Honestly, I think it sounds like your baby is eating quite a large amount of solid food for his age- both my kids ate far less at that point, and both were very large for their age. I also think you should let go of the stress and just follow your baby's lead. Don't "insist" on solids, because he obviously is doing just fine with the amount he is eating (otherwise he wouldn't weigh 25 lbs), and because making solids into a battleground is a great way to end up with a kid who refuses solids or has other difficult eating behaviors. You can't force a baby to eat any more than you can force him to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds like he's doing a great job with learning how to eat solids, and that those are decent "serving sizes" for a baby.

Since you said he prefers to eat the "real stuff" - then how about follow his lead and feed him appropriate versions of whatever YOU are eating and stop trying to feed him "baby" foods?

There are many moms here who skipped baby foods entirely, gave baby the "real stuff", and followed baby's lead of what and how much baby wanted to eat. This is often referred to as "baby led weaning" or "baby led solids". See the link in my signature for more info.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Your doctor may be pro-breastfeeding, but my doc must be more so.
    i also found it very wierd....i got pissed off cause she made me feel like i was doing something really wrong!"No,you should defenately make him soups with vegetables,and meat twice a week etc...i felt like i was making my baby starve. in the end of the day,doctors know some things only in theory,if i see my baby and he's ok why should i worry?? ... anyways....
    Since you said he prefers to eat the "real stuff" - then how about follow his lead and feed him appropriate versions of whatever YOU are eating and stop trying to feed him "baby" foods?

There are many moms here who skipped baby foods entirely, gave baby the "real stuff", and followed baby's lead of what and how much baby wanted to eat. This is often referred to as "baby led weaning" or "baby led solids". See the link in my signature for more info.
    We did BLW with our first son.i never gave baby food to my second too ,only after the ped insisted i should give him cereal ..he always eats lunch with us .i think i will just continue offering like i do and i will not listen to my doc anymore,
    we and from day 1...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bibi View Post
    i think i will just continue offering like i do and i will not listen to my doc anymore,
    I think a lot of moms do this. When the doctor asks "So, how is the baby doing with solid foods?" the mom replies "He's doing wonderfully well, loves to eat".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think a lot of moms do this. When the doctor asks "So, how is the baby doing with solid foods?" the mom replies "He's doing wonderfully well, loves to eat".
    hehe ! really ... that's clever..lol
    we and from day 1...