Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just curious...

Default just curious...

I know that babies are much better than the pump at getting milk out of the breast. Since I've never had to do pre/post weights when she breastfeeds, I don't actually know how much she is taking. She does take about 5 oz from a bottle when I'm at work.

So I was just curious if any of you ladies have had the opportunity to compare how much a baby actually gets from breastfeeding (from pre and post weights) to how much you are able to pump.

What gets me curious is that my LO usually only eats from one breast, but usually I'm only able to pump 2-3 oz/breast. Lately, she's really cut down on her feeding time, it used to be about 5 min but now it's 3 min, she'll unlatch and suck her thumb. If I am patient and pull her thumb out a few times, she might actually relatch for a few more sucks , but that's it and sometimes but rarely she'll take the second breast for one minute or less. A few times I've actually tried supplementing her afterwards and she may take 1 oz or just plain refuse. She is getting enough wets but the minimum of 5-6 per day. I've always been insecure about how much she is getting since she's so quick! We have her 6 mon check on Monday so I get to see how well she has been growing and I guess reinforce the fact that she is getting enough. But until then I'm just being curious.

Sorry for the long ramble, but thanks for reading and your input!

Default Re: just curious...

I've never done the weight vs. pumping comparison. Joe was gaining weight, so I just didn't worry about it when he was a newborn. But when I started pumping at work, I could immediately see how easy it is to get obsessed with the exact quantity of milk you're pumping! It's weird, how suddenly, the exact AMOUNT matters, when in reality, the exact amount of milk you're making is not important as long as it's enough for your baby and they are thriving.

So I don't have an answer to your question, but I would just say, try not to worry so much about the exact quantity - what matters is that your baby is thriving. I know it's easy to get kind of obsessed with the number of ounces, but really, babies do vary in their needs. Joe also was a three minute nurser at that age, and urine output often slows down a bit as babies get older (they "hold" it longer). So try not to worry.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We had issues early on, and had some feed and weighs at an LC. As I was doing a whole lot of pumping for a little while, it gave me an easy comparison. Based on a weigh-in at just under 2 months, DS had consumed 3+oz from a single breast with maybe 5 minutes of feeding while we were with the LC (he was quite distractable over the feed, which was just under 10 minutes in length). By comparison, at that time, I was maybe getting 2-3oz per breast in 10-15 minutes from my heavy-duty, double-electric, rental pump, and the right environment (I was comfy, at home, with my wee babe with me).

As was mentioned, they get way more efficient at nursing as time goes on! After our technique was established, LC had taught me ways to be sure that baby is getting enough - these include signs like a happy baby after an efficient feed, and good wet diapers, as well as more quantitative measures like weigh-ins. I totally understand how it is hard not to want to know what goes in - we had a lot of issues early on, including baby not actually eating when I thought he was eating (due to my OALD), and we ended up with a healthy-looking but starving baby whose weight had plateaued early. That was a real kick to my self-esteem as a mommy, and for a little while, I really got obsessed with how much he was consuming. The fact that he nursed so quickly did nothing to alleviate this. Our wonderful LC sensed this, and met with us weekly until I had my confidence back - this included weigh-ins as well as educating and cheerleading. DS was just an efficient eater, and was healthy and thriving (as compared to lethargic / fussy).

Thanks joesmom...that's what I'm trying to do but I'm just curious as to what the comparison might be even though I know breastfeeding is probably the most unscientific thing.

Sallycanuck...that's what I'm afraid of! Is a healthy-looking but starving baby! I mean she seems content after eating and if I try to get her to go back on it's a huge struggle...she's pretty much only gained 1 lb in 2 mon although I don't know how long she's grown. I know weight gain slows as they get older, but this seems really slow to me. Her 6 mon appt is tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get some answers.

It did not help that yesterday when I was in a mom's lounge at the mall yesterday another lady breastfeeding her 6 mon old told me my daughter was small. But I told her she's got a boy so of course he's going to bigger...some ppl need to keep their coments to themselves!

Thanks for your replies ladies!

Actually right around 5-6 months is when their growth really slows. Because that is when they get moving. My son slid from the 95th percentile to the 75th percentile from 6-9months. Because he was rolling over and spending time on his hands and knees getting ready to crawl. So DON'T worry about a slide on the charts in the next few months. As breastfed kids get moving that is what happens. Watch diapers. And anything for 3.5 to 14oz a week is noraml gain. So that is a HUGE margin. A lb in a month is 4oz a week. It's on the low side but still normal. And if she is a very active baby already, that is probably why.
    Also as a side note, 5oz is actually a lot for a baby to take in. She probably doesn't get that much from you. But drinking 5oz out of a bottle is a taught thing, Kids drinking out of a bottle will often learn to drink until the bottle is gone. And DCP especially ones with no experience with breastfed kids just expect what a breastfed child drinks ot go up with age because that is true of formula fed kids. But it's not true. Breastfed kids don't need more milk as they get older. The milk composition just changes to meet their growth needs. So when at the breast, trust your baby to self regulate. She can be trusted to do that.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks djsmom...well if what you say is right then she's actually gaining less then normal...she's gained about 1 lb in TWO months...now I'm really worried...I guess I will wait and see what happens tomorrow at the check up

Let us know.

Way too lazy for formula

I've never done a pump/feed comparison....but I did a weigh, feed, weigh when DS was about 10 weeks old. He was only nursing for 4-7 minutes on one side only, and I thought for sure that wasn't enough...even though I knew I could pump 3-4 ounces in that time easily. At the LC, he only actually latched for 3 minutes - and he had taken in over 2 ounces. So, I would imagine if we were home and he went for the full 4-7 minutes, he would have easily gotten 3-4 ounces. It's amazing how efficient they can become!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Hope everything turns out well! KUP!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

I'm pretty sure my DD had some months where she did not gain a full pound. And she stayed between 18-25% for weight the whole time. And my pedi never once considered her underweight. I would be concerned more about activity level, growth of head and of body length, developmental milestones, and, as the primary gauge whether she's getting enough, diaper output. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!