Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for fellow twin mommy

Default Help for fellow twin mommy

I have a friend who had her twins exactly one year after I had mine and she's also breastfeeding But the smaller one is not gaining weight, and has even lost weight. (They are 6 weeks now)

She supplemented her for a week by expressing after every feed and giving it to her in a cup. Then she gained again, but since stopping now, she's lost weight. Now she's giving her a bottle of formula in the morning, 2 hours after she breastfed.

She asked me now if her breastmilk might not be good for her and I just cannot think that that could ever be the case, for any baby. If breastmilk from another mommy that's not a baby's own is better than other milk, why would it not be good for her own baby?

My one baby failed to thrive as well in the beginning and what I did was spend lots more time skin-to-skin (I believe they need physical touch just as much as food to thrive), and on advice from my IBCLC I fed her on the same breast twice before switching them, pressed my breast slightly while she sucked to help her get more hindmilk and if she wanted, let her feed on her sister's side after she fed as well.

Is there anything else you would suggest?
    ~*~ TwincessMamma ~*~

Default Re: Help for fellow twin mommy

Bumping
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Is the baby's latch okay? Maybe she can see a LC to make sure the baby is latching and getting milk properly.
    July 27 2011

I agree with the latch. my smaller twin had a harder time at first as well. I also would try to make sure she got more hindmilk. Ummm. Does she cosleep? Lexie does most of her eating when she is asleep during naps or at night. She could wear her little one in a wrap without a shirt on for skin to skin and access
    Jaxon (07/13/08) weaned at 27 months
    Alexa and Braxton (11/18/10). My NICU miracles.

http://swallomlife.blogspot.com

"This above all: to thine own self be true" -Hamlet

Thanks ladies!

Things are starting to look up for my friend. She's left the formula completely and not limiting her feeds to only 8-10 a day anymore (for some reason she thought if she had more than that it would do harm). She's also spending lots of time skin-to-skin and she says she can see the color in baby's skin has even improved. I'm not sure if she's weighed her again, but those things alone sound like a major improvement to me.

I am so amazed at the power of kangaroo care!! We bought her a wrap and posted it to her last week so she can wear her and still have a hand free
    ~*~ TwincessMamma ~*~