Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Disconcerting changes

Default Disconcerting changes

So DS is 7 weeks now, and has been latched for what feels like every hour of all 7 weeks I've been looking forward to him nursing a bit faster/more efficiently and being able to put him down for a few minutes and have him happy when he's not at the breast. The last couple of days, he seems to have reached that point. Now I'm anxious because he's not at the breast all day!! Silly, I'm sure, but something my old pediatrician said is kind of haunting me: "He may be feeling satisfied, but you know your stomach can shrink and you can still feel full and not be getting enough to eat." Not sure if there's any truth to that, but it's been on my mind.
    His fecal output is down, too; though I've read that that can happen around 6 or 7 weeks when there's no more colostrum in the milk. It's been cut drastically, though. From 8 or so a day to 4 or 5, and just over the last two days, too.
    He doesn't seem to be in pain. Just the opposite. Happy and content. His poops still look the same, too: soft/runny, yellow, seedy. I'm trying to trust that he'll tell me when something is wrong. It's just a little disconcerting.
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!

Default Re: Disconcerting changes

I'm not an expert on breastfeeding. I've only been doing it for 10 weeks. However, my juicy chubby DS only poops once a day. Every now and then he might skip a day. I called the nurse advice line a few times and the pediatrician told me that breastfed babies don't poop as often as formula fed babies. She even said that he might only leave a "poopy stain" sometimes. She says this is because breast milk is digested so easily that there is very little or no waste left.

I understand that your very worried, but I think your LO is just fine.

It's normal for breastfed babies to stop pooping as much right around this age. Some babies can go a week to ten days between! Totally normal. To be honest, I would try to forget what the doctor said! I mean, if your baby was constantly sleepy, newborn, jaundiced, losing weight ... well, okay, maybe. But that's not the situation! Sounds like everything is going great!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

In order for a stomach to shrink like your old ped is talking about, it would need to be in a situation of real hunger. Prolonged hunger. Your baby sounds like he's doing just great! Watch his wets, not his poos. They will be more indicative of whether or not he is getting enough. Breastmilk gets digested so thoroughly that there is often not a lot that comes out as poo, but if your son is wetting enough, you can rest assured that he is taking in enough. Also - YAY for things easing up so soon and your little guy being happy!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    In order for a stomach to shrink like your old ped is talking about, it would need to be in a situation of real hunger. Prolonged hunger.
    That's what I thought. We dropped this Dr because she jumped straight to supplementing with both kids starting the week after birth when things are still so unsettled. We listened to her with our first, and it contributed to the downward spiral of my BF relationship with DD. Our current pediatrician is much more supportive of BF.

Anyway, thank you ladies!! A little reassurance goes a long way!
    Mamma to: DD (02.2010) and DS (08.2011)
    We cloth diaper and are new to baby-wearing.
    Learning to trust my instincts and turn off my scientifically-trained brain!