Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: It's breaking my heart...

Default It's breaking my heart...

Hi all, my name is Sarah, and I've been breastfeeding for 11 weeks.

I guess I'm looking for a little advice. I have a forceful letdown and oversupply I think - although my son has always had normal yellow poos, if a little on the explosive side. He is gaining weight really well - 4lb 13oz at birth, 13lb 9oz when weighed today.

My little man seems to feed quite well at night - he pops off at let down, then manages quite well and settles back to sleep nicely.

However, the last couple of days he has been crying and screaming after he re-attaches following let down. He fights to get back on, takes a few sucks and then pulls off again crying. I wind him, try laying down with him, tried laid back positions, but nothing seems to help or console him. It's so upsetting. Its breaking my heart that he feels so miserable at the breast, I want it to be a place of warmth and comfort.

I'm block nursing at the moment to try and sort out my oversupply, but can anyone offer me any advice? I really don't want to quit breastfeeding, but I'm not sure how much more of this my heart can take

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: It's breaking my heart...

If I am understanding correct, your son is 11 weeks old and just recently started popping off, crying and having difficulty relatching. If this is the case, I wonder if a forceful let down is your only issue. Most babies learn to deal with this as they get older, so the problem should be better now rather than worse. Have you brought him to the pediatrician? I would be worried about a possible ear infection, reflux, allergy, etc.... Please don't give up on breast feeding, you can do this! Hang in there.

I too think that you should explore other possible reasons. Could he be getting a cold? If his nose is beginning to get congested breathing while latched on may be strained for him.

Could he need some extra help burping in between? Sometimes I would burp my babies before reattaching after a forceful let down.

It's hard to say from just your post what the specific cause is, but I would urge you to be patient and try to figure it out rather than giving up on breastfeeding. How long has this been happening?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Another possibility is that some babies start to love the OALD. He may be upset that the milk isn't coming out for him with no effort. If that's the case, you can try some breast compressions or switching to the other side. Or you can give him some time to get used to working for the rich hindmilk. Please don't give up. This is not insurmountable.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks for the replies.

The thing that confuses me is that he feeds absolutely fine during the night. If it were an ear infection or something of that ilk, wouldn't that affect all feeds? He even eats through the letdown sometimes, I guess it depends on his mood...

I will work on burping him more. I did experiment with breast compressions, but it upset him more - my milk seems to jet out constantly, even after let down and I guess it wasn't more milk that he wanted...

Sorry about the dramatic thread, was feeling very upset about this last night. I won't be quitting over it, it's too important to me - it was just a bit upsetting, and, as mentioned by the poster above, 11 weeks in, I imagined things were going to be easier. We've not had the easiest time getting breastfeeding established as the little man was in special care for 4 days after he was born and wasn't interested in latching. I guess I was hoping we would be more in synch by now, but I'm going to persevere and we will crack this.

Try feeding him while keeping him in a sitting up position! That should help with both OALD and reflux if that is the problem.

Way too lazy for formula

We had a rough time with a lot of milk and a fast letdown until my son was 9 months old. He did the same, cry when all the milk would come. Also he always nursed with his eyes wide open and a nervous look. It will pass with age, but there is some you can do to help. My son was gaining really well until I started pumping a bit at work and inadvertently doubled my supply, which led to him only getting foremilk. .

You are doing a good job with block nursing, but to test if it's the amount of milk or speed causing the problem you can put your son back on the same side you just nursed the next time he is hungry. If he seems happier with the "emptier" side then you know. You can do this, "double" block feeds to increase the amount of time between nursing sides and effectively reduce supply.

Alternatively, when you feel letdown, unlatch your baby, let down on a towel and then resume nursing. That seemed to work pretty good for us too until I could get a handle on how much milk i should be making. Your baby might cry when you temporarily stop the feed, but then the breast can start to be a soothing place. My son used to have to gulp so fast and he couldn't wait for nursing to be over. We went through this struggle for a LONG TIME before I started using the towel regularly, and saw pretty good results.

Your supply should start panning out anyway, I think at 3-6 mos some moms experience an evening out of what is needed vs crazy hormonal milk making you body does.
    Last edited by @llli*carmen.arizona; September 30th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Oh, also, my son was fine at night too. I think because they are like "in the zone" . Also- you sitting up makes the milk come out faster. you can experiment with baby on top positions, or side laying feeding, which we still do to this day I'm assuming you side lay at night too, which could also explain why he's fine. I clearly remember side nursing, and my son letting the milk run out of his mouth on the bottom side which drinking what he wanted. it's messy, but it works.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

I went through this too with my DD around 2months and was ready to quit every day for weeks. I just kept at it and next week she'll be 6 months. I had OALD and OS (still have OS) and it was overwhelming to her b/c she was in NICU for 2 weeks due to jaundice, inability to maintain core body temp and trouble latching/suckling. It DOES get better. Now, I think OALD is under control (for the most part) and she gets frustrated that it's gone. Silly baby
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong