Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: keeps unlatching?

Default keeps unlatching?

I have a little boy who's just turned 12 weeks. For the last couple weeks during nursing he will start nursing, go for about 10-20 seconds and then unlatch, turn his head and then go back to nurse, a few sonds later unlatch again, turn head, then try to go back. It's really annoying, not to mention starting to make me chapped.

At first I thought he wasn't really hungry but he's doing it more and more often so I know he's hungry and not just bored/playing. So I thought maybe my let dwn is too fast so I pumped before I nursed him. No difference. I don't see how it could he a breathing issue as he can drink from a bottle in the same position without stopping like he does on the breast.

I'm out of ideas ad really frustrated. Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Default Re: keeps unlatching?

Maybe your flow is a little slow and it's annoying him? You could see if compressions to speed the milk along make him more interested.

Teeth also can start moving around months before they pop up and bother their latch.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My almost 14 week old has also been doing the same thing. He nurses through the let down and then he pops off...smiles at me...looks around a bit...coos and then gets back on It used to irritate my nipple but now they seem to have toughened up a bit. I find it really entertaining now and actually really enjoy it. I guess I look at it as play time with mommy It's something only he and I can do and I enjoy every second of it...even when it makes me run late I don't know what is really the cause of this but as long as he has good output and all, I would just enjoy it

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Does he do this in different positions?
    Momma to DD born 4/11/09. Baby #2 expected late Feb
    Wife to DH