Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk production and periods

Default Milk production and periods

I'm not sure if my milk supply has been affected by my period and with anticipating it in the next week I'm nervouse after seeing a dip. I remember hearing about a vitamin combo to take prior or during my period to help maintain milk supply.

I have a 8 1/2 mo old, bfing and starting solids slowly. A few weeks back I saw a decrease in my milk production, probably for a variety of factors- sick baby, stress/work, hydration, etc. and now seeing an increase. I got AF back in July.

What is the vitamin and recommended timeline? I'll check Kellymom too..

TIA!

Default Re: Milk production and periods

A lot of mamas do see a temporary supply dip right around the time of their period each month. It's different for everyone, but for me it was usually the first 2-3 days of my period. If you are nursing directly it shouldn't be much of a problem, you may just notice baby wants to nurse more frequently or for longer periods. Possibly s/he might get fussy at the breast because the milk is slower or it tastes a little different, but again it usually only lasts a few days. If you are pumping it might be more of a problem if you are trying to keep up with baby's intake at day care. I found eating oatmeal on those mornings really helped give me a supply boost. There are also herbal teas or supplements you could take, but I never used any of those so I'm no help there. Try the oatmeal and see if it works for you, though. It seems to be one of those things that works for most women who just need a temporary supply boost.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous