Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you replace nursing sessions?

Default How do you replace nursing sessions?

DD is almost 11 months old so I am trying to prepare myself for how weaning works. She is down to nursing only 3-4 times a day, and I am very ready to be done nursing so we will start cutting back at 12 months. My question is, do babies need to drink a significant amount of milk once weaned, or can they get their nutrients from solid food? She is a very good eater at this point, and eats pretty much anything we do. Right now she has 3 meals and 2 snacks everyday, plus 2 long nursing sessions and 1 or 2 quick ones. Am I supposed to give her a big cup of milk in the morning once we replace that nursing session, or is breakfast enough? I got a lot of conflicting information when I googled this, so looking for some more info. Thanks!

Default Re: How do you replace nursing sessions?

She doesn't necessarily need to drink cow's milk after weaning. She does need sources of protein, fat, calories, etc. You could try her on solid foods that are high in calcium like yogurt, cheese, kale, tahini, apricots, tofu, kidney beans... There are lots!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; September 30th, 2011 at 04:18 AM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I think milk is suggested because it is kind of an all-in-one - has the fat, calories, calcium, etc., so it's easier to just give milk. Lots of kids don't have milk though, but you do have to make sure that she gets the required fats/calories/nutrients from other foods Great suggestions by LLLKaren
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

dr sears has some great info about cows milk and switching on his web site.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ional-benefits