Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crying and spit up

Default crying and spit up

My LO is 5 weeks old today and I feel like he spits up a lot after he nurses--
    sometimes more than once after a feeding. Does that sound normal? He also cries
    a lot. He sleeps well some nights but other times it seems like he's crying whenever
    he's not nursing or sleeping. Is this normal at his age? I'm worried he might have
    more gas than is normal or reflux. What do you guys think? Thanks so much for any
    help. I really appreciate it.

Default Re: crying and spit up

Sounds like it might be reflux. My son spits up alot if I don't hold him upright after he nurses. He also cried alot in the afternoon He is on prevacid and I'm hoping it will help. Sometimes the stuff comes up and it seems like he is almost choking.
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

If it were me, I would probably call the pediatrician. Hope others can chime in with some adivce!!
    Mommy to
    Abram 9.12.13

One thing to watch for is whether is seems uncomfortable when your LO spits up. The discomfort is a good sign it is reflux. Sometimes babies just spit up a lot without any reflux--it's a laundry problem, not a medical one. Both my first and my third were--we called them our gooey babies.

It never hurts, however, to put in a call to the pediatrician.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I did forget to mention that my son makes faces like he has tasted something really sour. That's another sign of reflux.
    Mommy to
    Abram 9.12.13

Thanks for the advice! I will check with the pediatrician to be sure.

My daughter was born on 8/15/2011 and I had the same problem she would spit up a lot and she was constantly crying and i knew it wasn't normal because my first daughter did not spit up that much. My daughter would spit 5 or 6 times after feeding and she would make that sore taste face when clumps of milk would come up just like they menation above. I took her to the doctor and explained the syptoms she had and luckily she was doing the stuff i explained to him when he was examing her and she was diagnosed with that GERD which is acid reflux they gave her zantac once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Another sign is if they arch their back a lot. I asked the doctor if she would stop spitting up he said Not necessarily the medicine just prevents from the acid coming up with the spit and also prevents the acid scarring the esophagus which later can cause gastritis. Sorry for the long explanation. He did say that it is very common and it usually goes away by the time they are 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    One thing to watch for is whether is seems uncomfortable when your LO spits up. The discomfort is a good sign it is reflux. Sometimes babies just spit up a lot without any reflux--it's a laundry problem, not a medical one. Both my first and my third were--we called them our gooey babies.

It never hurts, however, to put in a call to the pediatrician.
    Yes! My DD spat up tons. Soo much. I could never understand why burp rags were so thin. I had to use receiving blankets folded multiple times to catch her spit up. But she was never diagnosed with reflux. She just simply was a big spitter! Check for other signs of reflux.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My son would only spit up if I ate dairy.

It's a very common allergy. Stop with the milk products and see if it gets better. Its an easy change and only takes ime 2 days to see results. Try to think what you ate about 4 hours earlier. If it's high in dairy I wouldn't be surprised if he had an allergy. My son would also get terrible gas, your post sounds very familiar.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

I just noticed that babylove's daughter who had tons of spitups has a dairy allergy!
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!