Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nighttime nursing?? Co-sleeping??

Default Nighttime nursing?? Co-sleeping??

Hello! I read a lot on here about co-sleeping and nursing while sleeping. I really never thought that I would be comfortable bringing my baby into my bed, after all, they practically tell you your baby will suffocate if you do! Every book, handout, and advice giver when I was pregnant said that you should never bring your baby into your bed. But the last few nights have been terrible and I have been rethinking. My 4 mo old is either teething, or a growth spurt, or something is waking him up every hour or so in the night and he wants to nurse. So the first few nights I did what I always do, bring him out to a chair and nurse him, then bring him back to his bed (he sleeps in our room in a bassinet next to our bed). But last night he didn't even want to be put back in his bed. After many tries, I just decided I would try to nurse him in our bed. I had tried the side-lying position before, but found it very awkward and uncomfortable. I tried it again last night and he was happy, but I didn't sleep a wink! I don't know why the position didn't seem right, he had a really shallow latch. He didn't want to go back to his bed and wanted to stay latched for hours. I was so uncomfortable and was so afraid to fall asleep. Finally I got him to unlatch and sleep next to me, but I was so scared he would get trapped under the covers, or whatever else they tell you might happen. I would love to be able to nurse him in bed instead of having to go out into the living room, but it was so uncomfortable. What am I doing wrong? Are there any better ways to nurse lying down? And how can I safely co-sleep if I want to try it? Thanks!! Not sure if that's what I want to do, but it did seem to help him last night!

Default Re: Nighttime nursing?? Co-sleeping??

I love co-sleeping! It's been a saving grace for me with both my girls. My DH and I worried about smothering the baby at first too. But here's what I figured, we had 2 cats and a small dog that slept on our bed. We never crushed or rolled on them (even when they were sleeping right beside us). If we're that aware of an animal, I figured we'd be way more aware of our baby. Dr Sears has a great book on cosleeping.
    Here's my tips for safe cosleeping:
    Be sure there's no pillows near babies face
    Be sure there's no loose blankets. I'd have a blanket for DH and one for me and have a space in the middle blanket free.
    Have baby sleep between you two

I'm sure others can add to the list. As far as nursing, I have been able to nurse 'side lying' easily. I started with my oldest sitting up and getting her latched on. Then while she was nursing, I'd slowly scoot down and lay on my side. It seemed to help us get the knack down. Pretty soon we were able to just snuggle and nurse w/o sitting up first. With the second, I would lay down, snuggle her close and just latch her on.

We also started co-sleeping around the same time (and for the same reasons) as you, so its definitely something you should try out safely. I know there are some good links, but I don't have them and I hope someone posts them soon.

What we do is no blankets on LO at all, no pillows near her, she always sleeps usually facing my chest with her head nestled under my armpit.This makes a protective arm wall so she can't get near my pillow. I always have to sleep with my arm out b/c of this (usually under my own head or pillow). It gets more comfortable as time goes on. You might want to tinker with your own pillow for your head to accomodate this. We also got a bedrail when she started getting more mobile.

About the side lying position, let's say you're on your left side, we try it two ways but lately doing it the first way: I put my left arm under her head/neck like in cradle position, then I use my right hand to guide the boob to help her latch on. We also try the same way, but with her head directly on the bed, arm lifted out of the way above her (in armpit/sleep position), and use the right hand to guide boob just as before. Before you latch on you can move her head around abit to get a good angle. To do it without looking or in the dark, I always use my guiding hand (holding boob) to find her bottom lip with my index finger. Once you don't have to "look" anymore it gets more comoftable and you don't strain your neck, you can lay your head back easily.

eta: why not try practicing before nap time if possible?
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I love co-sleeping and side lying nursing!

I will say there was a bit of a learning curve for us. I feel very safe though and have always slept with with him nestled at breast level the way the pp described. But it took a bit to get side lying down. It is much easier now because he totally latches himself on.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Thanks for the info and advice! We will definitely practice the side lying position and work to get it right. My husband told me that he is not really comfortable with co sleeping, but we will see how things go. It's definitely something I want to keep learning about.

I've heard this on here many times and even tried it myself (successfully) to get DH to come around to the idea of co-sleeping...just tell him he can get out of bed, walk over, bring you the baby to feed, stay awake waiting till he's done, and then collect him and settle him back in his bassinet. Of course he'll have to do this every night right? My dh wouldn't even try it and was immediately converted to co-sleeping. So much more sleep for everyone!!

also it helps to find reading material on safe co-sleeping and show it to him. maybe if you search the forums some more links will pop up
    Christine
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    I've heard this on here many times and even tried it myself (successfully) to get DH to come around to the idea of co-sleeping...just tell him he can get out of bed, walk over, bring you the baby to feed, stay awake waiting till he's done, and then collect him and settle him back in his bassinet. Of course he'll have to do this every night right? My dh wouldn't even try it and was immediately converted to co-sleeping. So much more sleep for everyone!!
    Good idea!