Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Struggling wih BF

Default Struggling wih BF

I am supposed to be an experienced mama at bf. I just had my 4th baby 6 days ago and I'm really struggling with nursing him. I haven't had problems with my previous kids latching but this lo is really struggling. I'm ready to quit. My nipples hurt so bad, they are missing a layer of skin and are constantly burning and hurting.
    This is what is going on with lo. He gets a good latch for a few seconds meaning 5 -10 seconds, then it's like he lets go of the nipple and begins to suck only on the end of my nipple. I reattach him several times. It's not fun, it hurts, and I don't know how to help him. I'm willing to stick it out because I really want the bond with him but I'm to the point of it's just to painful to let him nurse on one nipple.
    My thought at this point is to let him nurse on one nipple that is super painful but not as damaged as the other nipple. I can pump the super damaged nipple to maintain supply but I really don't want to bottle feed him yet as I don't think it will help with his latch.
    I wish I could say more of what it is like to nurse him and what he's doing. I've been watching him very closely and I can't even tell how he lets go of the original latch. I need help. Please any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    Kafessa: 5/17/10
    expecting 10/1/11

Default Re: Struggling wih BF

Are you waiting for an open mouth and shoving as much of your nipple in as possible? Are you spending time every day without your shirt off so that the damage to the nipples gets air and time to heal? I would also look at nipple shells. Which protect your nipples and give them air while you have to wear a shirt.
    I would absolutely pump to maintain supply. Throw the milk in the freezer for later if you aren't going to feed it now. (Also the right call as I'm sure you know.)
    And while I know it's not fun, be diligent. Every time it feels wrong you should be redoing the open mouth wide and shoving a nipple sandwich in there.

Way too lazy for formula

He is a bit lazy in opening his mouth, but yes, I'm shoving as much as possible into his mouth. Are there any tricks to get him to open wider? He'll open good but will root to the wrong side so by the time I get his head to where I need it he's a bit lazy. I immediately unlatch him if there is pain (after the pain just from the nipple damage goes away) I forgot about airing out my nipples. I've been putting a lot of lansinoh cream on them but they are staying very moist which is probably why they're not healing.
    Do you think it will work out ok if I nurse him on one nipple (I think the supply on the one side should be sufficient since my milk is still balancing out) until the other gets better and then deal with a little over supply later? One more question, how many days do you think it should take to get my nipple better. It's pretty bad, it bleeds if he sucks on it and the skin is super raw. (I'm pumping ok with it on the lowest setting with my Medela pump) Thank you!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    expecting 10/1/11

I had the same problem with my son. It was so frustrating becasue it was alot easier with my daughter. I nursed on one side for quite awhile and have been pumping the other. I had him checked for tongue tie and the eventual outcome was that his jaw was tight and it needed time to "strech" out. So frustrating!!!! I had to resort to feeding him from a bottle because I couldn't take the pain. Thank gooodness it kind of resolved itself, my nipples are shaped differently but he is satisfied and I'm not in pain. However....I am not using the other side. I am still pumping and storing a bit. I just kept pulling his little chin down and forcing him to open wide and then shoved my nipple in. Good luck! I'm sure it will get better soon
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Wanted to add, I nursed on the one side becasue it was the less painful.
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jtandaj View Post
    g.
    Do you think it will work out ok if I nurse him on one nipple (I think the supply on the one side should be sufficient since my milk is still balancing out) until the other gets better and then deal with a little over supply later? One more question, how many days do you think it should take to get my nipple better. It's pretty bad, it bleeds if he sucks on it and the skin is super raw. (I'm pumping ok with it on the lowest setting with my Medela pump) Thank you!
    Yes I do think it's OK to just feed him on one side and pump to maintain (and store?) on the other. I think if you give your breasts air time, they should be ok in 2-3 days. But you should be walking around your house topless. All day.

Way too lazy for formula

I had a similar problem and as mentioned above, it had to do with his jaw being really tight. At my bf support group I was given an exercise to do with him: Insert your clean finger (tip up toward the top of the jaw, nail facing the tongue) into his mouth to 1 knuckle length then twist your finger so the nail is up and the pad is down toward the tongue. Simultaneously push down and pull his jaw out toward you several times before each feeding. I did this for a few days and noticed an improvement. He still relapses sometimes but I just start with that exercise again and the problem is corrected. As for nipple pain, I tried every remedy I could find and I found the salt water soak to be the most effective.

Thank you so much for all of your help! Nursing is going much better last night and this morning on the one side. I will get as much air time aspossible for my injured breast. Pumping and storing is working well. Thank you for the suggestion on helping baby open his mouth wider, I will try this with him. You ladies are great! I appreciate your time!
    I'm Jill
    Mother to
    Bear 12/13/98
    Bagalli 8/5/07
    little (3/21/09).
    expecting 10/1/11