Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bfing my 4 m old and his weight gain

Question bfing my 4 m old and his weight gain

ok so my lil man was born weighing 9lb 3oz 21 1/2in long and he is now at 4 months weighing 12lb 4oz and is 25 in long.
    i have been told by some family members that he is too skinny and that i should switch to formula but i really dont want to.
    Is he under weight? should i b concerned?

He bfed every 2 hours. i feed him on both sides every feeding alternating which side he starts on. his latch is good. i always use the same position. am i doing anything wrong? the first 2 months he ate about every 3 hours and slept most of the night

he just got a tooth and had shots this week. his sleeping and eating have changed. he eats at about 7:30 pm and will go to sleep shortly after and then wake at midnight and eat every 2 hours. b4 this it was eat at midnight and then at 4am,8am then every 2 hours after. i feed him when he is hungry(on demand)

any advice on if i should do something different or is everything fine?

i have 3 children but this is my first time bfing. and things have been a little rocky with it.

Default Re: bfing my 4 m old and his weight gain

First off, a family member looking at your baby can't make an accurate diagnosis. What did your doctor say? Sounds to me like he is growing. I think you are doing a great job. Please don't doubt your body, even if your family is.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

thank you
    doc doesnt say anything.i feel she is very good. in the process of finding a new one. our regular doc past away and she is a fill in.

the fam is concerened bc there is no baby fat on him you can see his ribs. but he is very happy and alert and hitting all his milestones.

People are so very different, why wouldn't babies be? Ask your doctor, once you find a new one. If that will help ease your mind.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

its so funny that our families think they know what a healthy baby looks like!

my son is similar, born at 9/14 and at 7 months he is 17/5, but he meets milestones and my doc is not concerned. hes simply long and thin

dont borrow worry mama sounds great
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My niece didn't hit 20 lbs until she was over two years old. If I remember correctly, she hit 20 at about the same time her brother did--and he was 2 1/2 years younger. On the other hand she was mobile and active and talked early. Some babies are chunks (like mine) and some are skinny. As long as they are growing and hitting milestones you are doing fine.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thank you every one. feeling a bit better

If he is hitting all milestones and is happy and alert I would totally not worry! You are doing a great job!
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

oh yes he has hit his milestones and is a very happy alert baby. laughing smiling grasping toys or anything in front of him he does what i call baby push ups lol rolls around he loves playing in his saucer